Transmission issue

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on July 29, 2024, 01:44:07 PM
QuoteWould bad fluid cause this?

No.  But dark burned fluid would be a sign of slipping clutches.
Jim

Ok, what's the steps to replace the clutches..?
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

pbyrne

Quote from: Dave Spencer on July 29, 2024, 01:38:12 PMHi pbyrne,
The pictures don't help. They don't show the joint between the transmission and the bell housing on the back of the engine. If you can see bolts that look like they will allow you to unbolt the transmission from the back of the engine, the engine doesn't need to come out. If you can't see any bolts, it's mounted from the inside and the engine must come out. I recall there was a good write up about removing the transmission to replace the damper plate without pulling the pack on the C350 website. Here it is.

http://www.catalina350.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=685

It wasn't applicable to me and may not be to you either but it's worth a look.

Thanks, I'll mention it to the mechanic.  I'm nowhere near the boat ATM.

Dave Spencer

Replacing the clutches would be a factory authorized service centre job. It's not something that can be done by the owner; at least not easily. The transmission would have to come out to do the job.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

LogoFreak

When I replaced the transmission on my previous boat that had an M25 I first looked at having it rebuilt. Several shops told me it's a waste of time, for whatever reason they don't last after being rebuilt. Buying a new transmission is the way to go if yours needs it.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Colonel Butler

I have a 2006 MkII and replaced the damper plate in the winter of 2019/20. Requires removal of the cabinet in the rear berth and the heat exchanger at the rear of the engine. (A good time to have a look at all of the hoses back there and replace any that look dodgy). The rear motor mounts on the engine had to be unbolted and the engine tilted up to get the transmission out. I recall it taking about two hours for the removal.
2006 Catalina 34MkII "Calypso"
Hull #1746
Niagara-on-the-Lake Sailing Club
Niagara-on-the-Lake ON Canada

Gulfsailor

Same here. We had a s
Quote from: LogoFreak on August 06, 2024, 06:17:11 AMWhen I replaced the transmission on my previous boat that had an M25 I first looked at having it rebuilt. Several shops told me it's a waste of time, for whatever reason they don't last after being rebuilt. Buying a new transmission is the way to go if yours needs it.
hop "rebuild" ours. One weekend of use later, the fluid leaked out of a misaligned seal. The guys that distributed Hurth transmissions, said they were considered disposable. We bought a new one.
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

pbyrne

Bit of an update.  I spoke to AB Marine about a service on the prop and it's $1000-1600 USD plus whatever shipping.  New Variprop is about $3000 USD.  With our worthless Canadian dollar that's a hell of a lot of money for 3 months of sailing.

So, I'm considering just ditching it and buying a new fixed 3 blade, like a Campbell Sailor out of BC.  I don't know the prices yet but at least it's in Canadian Pesos.

I'm sure people here have thoughts on this, and I'd love to hear them.