Starter Switch

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

Hi all,
I have been having intermittent engine starting issues for the last couple of years. I have replaced the gummy connectors at both ends, replaced the inline fuse , and made sure all the connections (including the engine ground) are clean.

Last week when I was coming back to the dock, I hit the engine start button and nothing.  Before panicking, I let it off and tried again while wiggling the started button and it started right off.  I am not sure if the wiggling had anything to do with it, but it makes me think it might be a problem with the starter button.  As far as I know, it is original so 34 years in a salt water environment can wreak havoc on anything.  I would think replacing this would be a fairly easy and cheap option.

My question is if there is a specific button/switch that I need.  I am not sure of the exact panel model, but it is the one where the key is turned and held to the right for the glow plugs and then the button is pressed to start.  I know the xp25 is a kubota engine and I have bought some parts for the engine from the local Kubota store.  Being in Canada means that shipping costs from the US get very expensive so any local alternatives would be great.

Thanks,

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Noah

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-38/electrical/breakers-switches/engine-panel-push-to-start-or-glow-plug-button/?SearchResults=1

This would probably solve your switch problem. It is a standard Cole Hersey switch I believe. Maybe you can find it elsewhere a bit cheaper if you want to search around.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Greg : Look at Defender and you can find the same switch w/boot (M626 BP) - for half the price!!

Or there surly must be a chandlery (or auto supply) in Canada that has these switches ?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ghebbns

Thanks Ron and Noah.  So it appears that any marine push button switch should work. Would the following be ok as it is local and easy for me to get?  Thanks again.

Sierra Heavy Duty Push Button Starter Switch
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Noah

I believe that would work but I don't see that it comes with a rubber boot. Ron's number does bring up a switch on Amazon with a boot.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

I had a similar issue recently and discovered it was my starter.  I could hear the load of the button as I pushed it (blower and buzzer changed pitch) indicating the button was good, but still no crank.  I had an auto Electric company rebuild the starter and now it is working great.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Greg : Looks like that'll work just fine (30amp) and it shows that it comes with a boot nut!!  I'd tin the wires before I connected them to the switch.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Greg : If you spray some silicone on the "rubber" of that boot nut, you'll keep it from ever cracking caused by the Sun's UV.

I spray all of my hatch gaskets (every couple of years) so they stay nimble!!  :D

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: ghebbns on July 21, 2024, 12:29:17 PMit appears that any marine push button switch should work.

Sierra Heavy Duty Push Button Starter Switch

Greg NO, not any Marine PB switch is proper, a switch, is not a switch. is not a switch.  The devil is in the details

For example the CD switch is rated only 10 amp.

There are Cole Hersee switches rated 10 amp (with 18-ga pigtails!!)

For Preheating (unless you have an "A" or "B" series engine or the preheat solenoid/relay Mod, it should be a 30-amp switch. 

That Sierra switch is rated 30 amo, but I believe that Cole Hersee switches are better quality than Sierra, if you can get CH switches locally or with reasonable shipping (Amazon.ca??)

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

A friend and dockmate of mine wrote me yesterday:

"� Stu, I'm not sure that the C34.org member, ghebbns, realizes that Defender now has a store in Canada. Defender.ca is the url. The part he is looking for is listed at $27.98 Cdn and shipping should be reasonable. Here is the link for his part:

https://defender.ca/en_ca/cole-hersee-extra-heavy-duty-push-button-switch-with-momentary-on-m-626-bp
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."