Holding tank questions

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

I have compared what I have and the manual and the articles on the holding tank. I think that was written by Jon W. As I am working my way thru the boat I am trying to clean everything. I have not ventured to close to  the holding tank for reasons you can imagine. But today I decided to take a look and see what kinda of crap I will be getting into (the pun was intended). When I first opened I noticed that on the top of the tank Pic 2 there is a small opening with no plug is this supposed to be like that
The first picture is the end of the tank there is a 1.5 hose from the deck to the bottom of the tank, 1.5 line to the top of the tank coming from the head, and a 1 line coming from the stanchion which is disconnected pic 3. shouldn't that line be connected to something?
In the article is shows a macerator pump on the end of the tank mine doesn't have any pump is that dependent on the type of toilet you have?
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Noah

Do you have an owner's manual? If not, there is one on this website. I believe, a macerator pump was factory standard on all C34s, regardless of what toilet was used. Things may have been changed on your boat over the years. The top of the tank should have the vent hose to the stanchion.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

@Dan

I believe the tank should have  90 ell on top for the vent hose. At least that's what my 30 has so it fits under the cubby cover.

Being on the Great Lakes the PO probably removed the macerator, or maybe when she was first commissioned.  Either way, its nothing to concern yourself with (unless you plan on ocean cruising.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Hi Dan. The 1.5" hose from the deck to the bottom side of the holding tank is for pumping out (emptying) the holding tank at a pump out station. It should be connected to a cap on the deck that says "Waste".

The 1.5" hose from the head connects the toilet to the top side of the holding tank. When you flush the toilet it empties into the holding tank.

The 1" hose from the stanchion is the holding tank vent, and should connect to an elbow screwed into the top center of the tank as Ken mentioned.

The purpose of the macerator pump is to be able to empty the holding tank overboard thru an anti siphon loop then  out of the seacock. You can only discharge your holding tank overboard where it is allowed. If you're not allowed to discharge overboard where you sail, you don't need a macerator. Check your local laws/rules.

Glad you mentioned the write up in the Tech Wiki. I went back to jog my memory and noticed the last photo is for a different write up. It's correct now.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca