plumbing system Question

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

Quote from: scgunner on June 25, 2024, 12:41:20 PMDan,

I apologize if you though my post was condescending it was not intended to be. I realize you're new to the boat and attempting to learn it and it's systems one thing I found very helpful when I was new to my boat was the owner's manual that came with the boat. It details all the systems of the boat along with diagrams of various systems like electrical and plumbing. Did your boat come with one? If not maybe the PO forgot to give it to you so maybe contact him to find out.

As far as the fresh water system goes mine looks just about exactly like yours and while I wouldn't call it beautiful I wouldn't call it disgusting either especially since it's hidden away and gets the job done. If you want to know if it works why not turn it on and find out? From what I can see the cracked clear plastic cover looks like the only problem and it might still work anyway although it's replacement would still be a good idea. Of course there could be problems you can't see like a dead pump or a bad valve etc. But there's only one way to find out. Good luck.

absolutely not I read everyones post and try to learn something from every post. This post I have gained a lot of information that I will use. With all the water damage I had to tear apart the kitchen and bathroom sinks so it half apart that's why I can't try it and also why I am going to redo everything with pex and a manifold.
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

melp64

Quote from: Jon W on June 25, 2024, 01:55:49 PMOn my 1987 there is an additional pump/motor under the head sink. It's controlled by the rubber booted switch on the side of the head locker. Its only purpose is to drain the shower pan overboard.

is that switch mounted thru the hanging locker next to the head?
Dan

Noah

Look closely at my photo in post #10. Look to the left of the circled locker and directly below the sink. That is where to shower pump switch is. It is a white plastic panel with a water proof boot on the rocker switch. You can buy that switch at Catalina Direct.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

The switch by the sink is for the shower sump pump. Mine is a toggle switch, yours probably is too. The round beckson plate was added by Noah. He also added the teak vented door by the toilet. I and others have done something similar. The more storage space the better.

I thought the switch on the panel you removed that wasn't connected to anything was for an electric toilet that was removed?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

My last clarification on this:
The pump in my photo under the shower "bench" is the feed pump for my electric toilet. That is not the shower sump pump, which is further outboard under the countertop and toilet paper cabinet.
On another point: I changed out my shower sump pump to a Whale brand Gulper pump. Expensive, but works great and does not clog with shower debris.
Standard Rig

Jon W

and it's a lot quieter.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Guys : We still have the factory diaphragm shower pump which I have affectionally named "The Growler"!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

melp64

Quote from: Jon W on June 25, 2024, 01:55:49 PMOn my 1987 there is an additional pump/motor under the head sink. It's controlled by the rubber booted switch on the side of the head locker. Its only purpose is to drain the shower pan overboard.
I couldn't find a picture of the switch that is just below the bath sink I did find pictures of the switch that had a rubber boot on it. Was this the switch that will empty the shower pan?? The first picture is just before I tore out the bulkhead, second picture is the switch with out the boot and the third is the back the switch in the hanging locker
Dan

Stu Jackson

Quote from: melp64 on June 26, 2024, 02:13:59 PMI couldn't find a picture of the switch that is just below the bath sink I did find pictures of the switch that had a rubber boot on it. Was this the switch that will empty the shower pan?? The first picture is just before I tore out the bulkhead, second picture is the switch with out the boot and the third is the back the switch in the hanging locker

No.  Please refer to Noah's pictures for the position of the shower sump switch and his and Jon's descriptions of where the pump is located, OEM.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

Two photos. The shower sump pump switch is the small rectangle below the teak trim on the sink counter and to the right of the head locker door. Not as modern looking as Noah's, but it works.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

melp : The cutout under the head (teak) seat and the cutout behind the head itself are mods made by POs

Many of us have made MANY mods to our boats!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

melp64

Dan

Noah

Melph64: that "button switch" could have been for anything. It is a previous owner's  (PO) modification. Ignore it. 
Standard Rig