What's under the stern ladder mounts on a MKii?

Previous topic - Next topic

MarknCat

Hi everyone, anyone pull their ladder mounts off? Is there a backing plate molded in with threads or is there nuts under there?

Thanks

Mark
MarknCat
Barefoot Life
C34MKii Hull #1483

Dave Spencer

Hi Mark,
I don't have a Mk II but I've attached a picture of the mounting bolts from my Mk1.5.  There is definitely a tapped backing plate embedded in the fibreglass.  Your boat may be different but a backing plate makes sense from a manufacturing point of view since installing the swim ladder brackets if it was secured with nuts would definitely be a two person job.
The attached picture was taken when I had the rear water tank removed and was renewing the bilge pump hose that discharges at the centreline under the swim ladder on my Mk 1.5.
Good luck with whatever you're doing.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

waughoo

I can second the above on my 1991 mk1.5. I doubt they would have changed that detail from one to the other.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

MarknCat

Thanks. I am chasing rust stains on the stern and I believe it's coming from the ladder rivets and possible mounts. I wanted to pull the mounts to clean them and the bolts and seal with butyl tape.

Then I noticed I have an extra bolt hole, like the mount had been moved back or something. So I filled it and sealed around the mount with 4200 instead. Next time I have the back opened up I'll investigate further.

MarknCat
Barefoot Life
C34MKii Hull #1483

High Current

I can also confirm there's an embedded, threaded something on my 1990 mk1.5.  I got really nervous when I first looked under there and the studs had no nuts or washers, but I eventually put 2+2 together...
Ben, #1050, 1990 Mk 1.5 std rig / keel

MarknCat

Thanks, as you all can see I have a couple of "extra" holes which makes me worry someone stripped a bolt hole and moved the ladder back one hole. I just sealed it up with 4200 for now, was afraid of opening a can of works I couldn't close. I'll circle back to it.
MarknCat
Barefoot Life
C34MKii Hull #1483