Running gear prep question

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

Quote from: Noah on April 28, 2024, 05:10:53 PMProp is cleaned/polished during each haul out. Then the hull and prop are cleaned by my diver monthly. Cost is $60 per month. He also replaces spent zincs for extra $10 (I supply zincs). Full disclosure: That photo is just before my last launch. I go 3-years between haul outs/painting. Next one is this October.

Noah
Any reason you are not applying at least a Zinc coating to the shaft and prop? For the last 30 years I have always epoxy coated the strut,shaft and prop and then applied bottom paint. This new yard will only apply a Zinc Coating.
Wow, Florida is now more expensive than California, I pay the Diver $76/month and also $10 to install Zinc which I supply. Bottom job will cost over $4000.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

waughoo

It might be regional.  I bought my boat off lake of the Ozarks and it was originally delivered to Texas, and it had the shaft and prop all covered in bottom paint.  Here in the PNW, I haven't seen that before.  I sanded it all off and left it bare when I launched it.  My diver only comes once every 6 months, but then that has a lot to do with our colder water.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte