Running gear prep question

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

I am planning to have the bottom painted in a few weeks at a new to me yard. They prep the running gear by sanding it and then only applying a Zinc coat spray similar to Pettit Barnacle Buster. They are not applying a epoxy primer nor any bottom paint. I am on the Gulf Coast in Florida a very high fouling area.
All other yards I contacted sand blast the running gear, then epoxy prime the shaft, strut and prop. They then apply a hard bottom paint such as Trinidad. So, I am concerned that only applying a Zinc coat may not be sufficient to properly protect all of the running gear. Any opinions??
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Noah

In San Diego I just clean and polish shaft and prop at haulout. No painting. Of course I have a diver monthly.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Bernd: I've never "primed" with epoxy???  I believe that the Zn coating will do the best.  I use ablative paint on the hull!!  Just don't know of any "magic stuff/coating" to keep the nasties from growing on the running gear!??!   :shock:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

If you don't use a diver, I have anecdotally heard that Prop Speed and similar (expensive) coatings help significantly curtail growth. Following exact application instructions is mandatory to get good results..
Standard Rig

karista

Quote from: Noah on April 26, 2024, 02:05:25 PMIn San Diego I just clean and polish shaft and prop at haulout. No painting. Of course I have a diver monthly.
Noah do you not apply a epoxy primer to the Strut? Do you not treat your running gear even with a Zinc spray?
I too have a diver that comes each month, so not too concerned with the shaft and Prop but always applied a epoxy primer to the strut. I do not have a zinc on the Strut, just the shaft.

karista

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 26, 2024, 02:47:51 PMBernd: I've never "primed" with epoxy???  I believe that the Zn coating will do the best.  I use ablative paint on the hull!!  Just don't know of any "magic stuff/coating" to keep the nasties from growing on the running gear!??!   :shock:

A few thoughts

Ron, how do you treat your strut? Mine has always been treated with a epoxy primer then painted with anti fouling paint. The yards here basically all apply a epoxy primer and then paint the running gear except the new yard that I had planned to use but now not so sure as they only apply a Zinc coating and now primer and no paint.

Noah

:D Bernd— YES! Sorry for confusion. My strut is primed with epoxy and painted with bottom paint. While it is metal, I consider it part of the hull not "running gear".
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Benrd : My strut is just painted with ablative bottom paint (no barrier coat).

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

karista

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 27, 2024, 09:40:42 AMBenrd : My strut is just painted with ablative bottom paint (no barrier coat).

A thought

Ron/Noah
Do you see any problems with just applying the zinc spray and nothing else (no paint) to the Strut,Prop and Shaft? That is what this new to me yard plans to do? I can cancel and find another yard.

Noah

:D
I have never used zinc spray on bronze. Might work, but Interlux Interprotect 20000 epoxy is my go to.
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Bernd : Should be no problem, Zn spray will nicely stick to bronze. I've used it many times on the prop.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Quote from: karista on April 26, 2024, 05:43:38 AMI am planning to have the bottom painted in a few weeks at a new to me yard. They prep the running gear by sanding it and then only applying a Zinc coat spray similar to Pettit Barnacle Buster. They are not applying a epoxy primer nor any bottom paint. I am on the Gulf Coast in Florida a very high fouling area.
All other yards I contacted sand blast the running gear, then epoxy prime the shaft, strut and prop. They then apply a hard bottom paint such as Trinidad. So, I am concerned that only applying a Zinc coat may not be sufficient to properly protect all of the running gear. Any opinions??

You haven't mentioned zinc anodes.  I think that would be a must.  But then bottom protection is a regional thing, every place has its own problems to protect from.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

:D This my set-up in California. Pretty usual
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Noah,  Is your prop painted or just that clean?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

Prop is cleaned/polished during each haul out. Then the hull and prop are cleaned by my diver monthly. Cost is $60 per month. He also replaces spent zincs for extra $10 (I supply zincs). Full disclosure: That photo is just before my last launch. I go 3-years between haul outs/painting. Next one is this October.
Standard Rig