Input on Replacing Dodger Glass

Previous topic - Next topic

Patches

Was out in 35 knots this past weekend when the lazy sheet snapped onto the dodger and cracked the glass.  The dodger was on the boat when I purchased it 6 years ago, and I have no idea what the glass/vinyl is that was built into it.  It has held up well until now.

My canvas guy has recommended either Crystal Clear or Strataglas for replacement.  The Strataglas is twice the price per square yard than the Crystal Clear. Says the difference is that the Strataglas is "coated" but didn't know much more than that.  Same thickness (30 mil).

Has anyone been faced with the same choice?  If you chose Strataglas, do you think after use it has been worth the premium?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Patches

Patches

Forgot to mention:  My dodger material is Samoid, and the glass portion to be replaced is one long piece (roughly 93"long) in the front—not the typical 3 pieces.  So the replacement glass will not ever be rolled up or zipped out. It is either up on the dodger frame or it's not.  I also have two side windows that zip in and extend back to the cockpit coaming.

Noah

:D
I (and Mainesail) recommend Makrolon AR-2 (a polycarbonate) over any vinyl, including Stratoglas. It offers much better clarity and I think, durability. I use it on my dodger. The two "downsides" are it is more expensive and you cannot roll it up. The front panel of my dodger zips up for ventilation and folds back onto the top of the dodger and is held in place by a standard SS twist lock canvas fastener. Regardless, whether you use vinyl/Stratoglas or polycarbonate, use Sunbrella sun covers over the windows when not sailing to prolong their life.
UPDATE/Edit: just found my old estimate and the material I have is:
60 gauge Lexan MR-10 Polycarbonate window
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

I replaced the dodger 5 seasons ago, was told that Strataglas was the preferred, and more expensive, material.  It has held up well and is still as clear as new, but it does have some scratches.  I've been on boats with the stiff polycarbonate.  It is nice but is very stiff and more difficult to handle. I was told it's very hard to sew. I will consider it if I ever need to replace the Strataglas on the windshield over the cutouts for the lines.
I think you need to evaluate the canvas on the dodger.  If it's very good, that is several seasons left, Strataglas or the polycarbonate, if it's worn, only a couple of seasons left, go with the less expensive.
That's my 2cents,
Jim
Another thought, On hot days it's nice to open up the center window and enjoy the breeze.  You may want to consider adding that to canvas fix.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Patches,

I wouldn't put another cent into that dodger, unless the PO installed it just before he sold it, it's at least 7 or 8 years old and likely older. I've had my C34 for 36 years and in that time I've replaced my dodger four times. I've never replaced a dodger because the widows went bad. In each case it was because of the sun rotted dodger cloth gets thin and brittle and it either splits or somebody puts a hand through it at that point no repair is possible. Do the math 4 into 34 (my current dodger is 2 years old) that's about 8 years per and I baby my dodgers because they are expensive. That window replacement won't be cheap and that's on a dodger that's probably approaching the end of it's service life. Just my two cents, it's your call of course.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Patches

Fair point Kevin.  The Dodger material has held up well (Samoid vs. Sunbrella) so that is less of an issue.  It gets a lot of use so scratches are going to be inevitable, and further reading indicates Strataglas scratch protectionis really limited to small lighter-type abrasion.  My long term ownership is unclear, but to be decided in the next 6 months. So I'm leaning toward the replacement with Crystal Clear (also manufactured by Strataglas).

Patches

Ron Hill

Guys : I've used the vinyl and keep the "front window" unzipped so I can pull it UNDER the dodger and secure it with short bungy cords on the aft dodger hand rail. Under the dodger keeps it from getting scratched and in position to be quickly zipped back down because of a rainstorm or sea spray !!   :thumb:

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Scott,

I have the Markalon lenses in my dodger.  They really are fantastic.  They hold the shape of the dodger and don't wrinkle like other options.  It is fantastic, but now that I have it, I won't go any other way.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

FWIW, there are two types of dodger designs.  One is called "California Style" and I forget the name of the other.  When my dodger glass started to go before I moved to Canada in 2016, I had my local dodger guy come take a look.  The glass was going, but the Sunbrella was just fine.  The dodger was a one piece job that I really liked.  He came up with a great fix.  He added strategic zippers so that the front, the two side panels and the top are now separate pieces, so if one went I could replace just the parts not the whole dodger.  While I haven't had to since he did this work back in May 2015 for the new dodger I had built in July 2004, it is something for everyone to consider when building a new dodger.

There's also a 101 Topic on dodger height everyone should read.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

STU- I probably should have better factored height into my calculus when buying my current dodger—built to fit my old existing frame. I failed to acknowledge that I had personally shrunk at least an inch over the past 9-years! Now, when standing at the helm, I either scrunch down to look through it or stand on my toes to look over it. ;-)
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Noah, you could consider getting one or two of those kneeling pads from  hardware store and standing on them.  Or, like I do, run the boat from in front of the wheel.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Yeah, thx for the tip on the pads, but I have enough tripping hazards already! Mostly, I steer from the "Princess" seats. I like the wind in my face!  Only time it is an issue is in crowded/congested harbors or when docking.
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Quoteor stand on my toes to look over it.

When it's crowded or close docking I stand on the aft seats, that way I can see right to the bow.  Even if I'm carrying my dinghy up there.
Lot's of ways to get the job done.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

:thumb:
I agree Jim, but then I hit my head on my split backstay! But that's another issue... ;-)
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 23, 2024, 03:10:18 PMHe added strategic zippers so that the front, the two side panels and the top are now separate pieces, so if one went I could replace just the parts not the whole dodger. 

something for everyone to consider when building a new dodger.

There's also a 101 Topic on dodger height everyone should read.

My Cali dodger was made so that, for air on a hot day, the front window could be unzipped (on the sides), rolled up, and hung by straps. It was a PITA because the necessarily huge roll (so that it did not crush and crease) was always in the way. 

So, I started flipping it over on top of the dodger, holding it in place with bungees at the two corners.

I had it reworked so that now the entire front window zips out.   Mucho improved.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain