PlasTeak Handrail Replacement Projects

Previous topic - Next topic

JoyRide2.0

A few years back I replaced the teak handrails on my old Ericson 27. They were fantastic!!! Now after getting back from JoyRide and sanding the teak handrails, I'm asking myself, 'Why the hell are you doing this?" It seems some of you have gone the way of PlasTeak. Do any of you have pics on your projects? Did you thru-bolt all of the fastners, or just the ones original to original handrails. And what about the eyebrow? Asking for a few friends. (Me, Myself, and I)

Kirk
JoyRide
1991 #1173 
Kirk S Jockell
JoyRide
1991 C34 #1173
M-25XP

scgunner

Kirk,

I'm not an expert but hadn't the C34 gone to stainless steel by '91? I've got a Mk1 which came with all teak deck rails. I finally got tired of refinishing, replacing covers, and leaks and replaced it all with S/S, one of my best upgrades. It cut maintenance almost to zero, outlay for new covers also zero, and gives the boat an updated look.
On the eyebrow question I know some guys that have just removed it sealed the holes and polished it up nicely. I took it one step further, I used a 1/2" roll of striping tape where the eyebrow was. My boat has gray decks with navy trim so I used navy tape, it turned out nicely I thought and along with replacing those ghastly Beckson ports it gives the boat a nice clean look.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ted Pounds

PlasTeak and PlasDeck on my Gloucester 19.  Used the original fasteners for the hand rails.  I used butyl tape to bed everything - no leaks.
I'll see if I can post a pic from my iPad.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

waughoo

It was somewhere around 92 to 94 when the mk1 went all stainless for the grab rails.  I have a dock neighbor that has pasteak toe rails he had made so he could remove the teak ones on his Jeanneau 39i.  They are a convincing swap for the teak.  I got fooled for the first few times I walked by.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte