Marinco Solar Powered Ventilator

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh17

Wondering if anyone has replaced their main saloon 4" Marinco Solar Powered Ventilators recently? The cost is $166 on Amazon. My main concerns are about quality and what's the life expectancy of this ventilator. Also, is there another/better option for less $$ ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074MGD8XL?ref=vse_pfo_vwdp_vse-cards-ingress0&th=1&psc=1
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Jim Hardesty

I installed one on my previous boat, the head had no ventilation, that was 25 years ago I'm sure the batteries work better now.  I was happy with the solar vent for this application.
I don't think yours is original.  Was added or a dorade vent was replaced with the solar vent. 
If the plastic housing is in good shape it may be worth it to disassemble the unit and replace the batteries.  They may be soldered in.
Hope that helps,
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Jim : I installed one of Nicros' day/nite and it lasted about 10 years!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Jim

I installed a 4" day/night MANY years back. At that time they were rectangular plastic with an option for a stainless cover over it.
It worked well but lasted bout 7-8 yrs and died.

I pried off the solar cover and the C cell NiCad batteries were toast, and I pushed it back in place and ordered replacements.
Before I got a roundtuit I trucked her to NC and when she arrived the solar panel had been sucked off!!  It's been a non-powered vent for 18 yrs.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain