backstay shackles

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete G

My boat has a backstay adjuster and need to replace the shackles.  One of them is a stainless D shackle with a non-locking pin and the other is a galvanized bow shackle (from the PO) - the pin was showing significant wear.  Any recommendations on the right shackles to use for the application? 
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

KWKloeber

Pete

Photos of which you're replacing?

I use Wichard or Garhauer for most my hardware.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Pete G

bow shackle is 1" and u shackle is 7/8"
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

KWKloeber

Hey Pete

I am a cheap, I mean frugal, sailor so IIWMB I would turn the D into a locking D. 
With a Dremel, grind a vee into the side so that the thumb screw blade drops into a slot when it tightens past a certain point.  That's how my small shackles of that size "lock."
Otherwise, put a drop of blue Loctite on it.

The backstay adjuster did not wear the bow shackle pin. 
The PO put it on the backstay because it was worn from the anchor.   
Besides being ugly it'll last your lifetime on the backstay.  Otherwise, replace it with a new Wichard (or IIWMB a Wichard snap shackle w/ clevis instead of an eye.)
https://defender.com/en_us/catalogsearch/result/?q=wichard%20shackle

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Pete G

Looking at the Defender site, what's the difference between these shackles (aside from price)?  Quality?  Any direction on shackle size?

Pete
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

Ron Hill

Pete : Where you are using the shackle I go with the cheapest one because there isn't a high load requiring MAX strength!!  The price difference however, is almost 5:1 so if it wears just get another one!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Pete

This is a low load application so either one will work.

I tend to use Wichard because of the nicer high polish finish and I've never had an issue with the action, always smooth and never hard to release (but that's for high loads.) I used one for my home designed vang/preventer/lifesling hoister.

My backstay adjuster is probably a bit different than yours and I used a Wichard hook (below, only because I had a stash left over.)

The cheaper one will work if you don't care about the finish.

If your existing snap fitz ok, get that size or go smaller if it will fit. Again it's such a low loading, go for looks rather than heft.