muffler corner holes

Previous topic - Next topic

junaido

I was pressure testing my muffler after epoxying the separated seam at the base. The seam part seems to be holding up ok. However, there are some leaks from a couple of the corner holes. For some reason I have two holes per corner, but only one screw in each corner securing the muffler to the plywood base. I plan on filling all the holes with unthickened epoxy and re-drill smaller hole through the filled area to prevent future leaks. Is there any great advantage to screwing the muffler down, or would a beefy tie-down strap that goes under the plywood and then comes back over the top of the muffler do the job? I don't sail hard or plan on crazy heel angles so the muffler should stay put. What do you guys think?
1986 #105, std. rig,  M25, Everett, WA

Ron Hill

juna : A tie down strap should adequately secure the muffler!! Just make sure that the plywood is adequately glassed w/mat to the hull - I had to redo mine!! Epoxy will also work!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

@junaido

How much pressure were you using to test it?

Here's what "I think":

1) I could envision alternate ways -- one being epoxying blocks to the hull and using aluminum or stainless bars to clamp down the flange of the muffler to the plywood.

2) This is an example of what I have said several times.  With the poor quality of the OEM Aqualift muffler, it's a Fool's Errand to fix it unless opening up the seam, separating the two halves, and fixing it "permanently."  I did it twice (then deep-sixed it and have a pre-loved stainless steel can muffler (from a Westerbeke.)

3)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain