Lewmar hatch removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete G

I'm in the process of removing and replacing the salon hatch.  I've removed the screws and have applied heat and razor blades to the caulk, but I can't get it to budge.  My boat is an MK1.

Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

Noah

Try a product called Debond Marine Formula Adhesive & Sealant Remover. West Marine carries it. It is expensive but it works. Spray it on and let it sit for 15 min. or so. It should help release the hatch's bond to the deck.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

This may seem obvious, but on my boat, the hinges are thru-bolted.  Thus with all the screws out of the flange on deck, it is still mechanically attached via the thru-bolts at the hinges. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ed Shankle

Work a stiff putty knife under the flange all around to break the seal. Then pry up a corner enough to get a small tool such as a hammer claw or mini crowbar to work it up. Use a piece of cardboard under the handles of the tools to prevent scratching the gelcoat.
Good luck,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ed Shankle

P.S. unrelated, are you a brewer?
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Pete G

Quote from: Ed Shankle on April 08, 2024, 03:50:24 AMP.S. unrelated, are you a brewer?

I'm a homebrewer.  Glad you got the reference.
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

Pete G

Quote from: waughoo on April 07, 2024, 09:27:10 PMThis may seem obvious, but on my boat, the hinges are thru-bolted.  Thus with all the screws out of the flange on deck, it is still mechanically attached via the thru-bolts at the hinges. 

Mine are attached by pins from the hatch to extrusions on the flange. 
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

Ron Hill

Guys : Pete has a Bomar center hatch.  I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article on that very topic.  I was able to remove the old hatch by using a heat gun.

I installed another Bomar hatch, but I'd recommend that you buy a Lewmar replacement.  It has the same corner radiuses and a friction opening rather than an adjusting arm into the hatch lens (dumb place for an adjusting arm to attach!!)  :shock:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Pete G

I was able to remove the hatch with heat and a bunch of plastic putty knives.  The replacement hatch I got a "deal" on didn't fit - a FB marketplace buy.  The replacement is about a half an inch too wide for the "lip" that the current one mounts to.  Pragmatically, going to defer the replacement to next off-season.  I cleaned up the hatch and deck and rebedded using grey butyl tape.  I rebedded one of the dorade vents, as well - they were both leaking. 

Massive rain storm since then, and the boat is dry, so calling it a win. 
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH