Shaft log repair/replace

Previous topic - Next topic

justinsteele

Hi,

I pulled my prop shaft to clean things up, replace the cutlass bearing, assess the stuffing box, motor mounts are on the list etc. Unfortunately once the stuffing box came out I found the shaft log completely worn away on the bottom. Honestly I'm a bit surprised it didn't sink. Any insight on repair? Can I just bore it out and epoxy a new one in place or do I need to grind all the glass inside the hull back and re build it up with the new one in place?

Justin Steele
Salem, Ma
1987 Catalina 34 WK
Hull #401
Universal M25XP

Ron Hill

Justin : How about a picture of what that shaft/log looks like now. 

Also always give your production year and hull # so we can give you the best answer!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

justinsteele

Sorry, new to this and figuring out how to post images. see if this works.
1987 Catalina 34
Hull 401

https://imgur.com/a/4Tist6U

Justin Steele
Salem, Ma
1987 Catalina 34 WK
Hull #401
Universal M25XP

KWKloeber

OUCH!!!!!

A little Bondo and buff it out.

Looks like besides a new log an engine (re) alignment was overdue?

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Justin : Not too sure if this suggestion will work or not?? 

If you have that broken piece see if you can put it back in place and make a single wrap of fiberglass mat around it ending with the joint on the top. Then wet that mat with glass and let it set.

The reason I' said it "might" work is because you'll need to get the rubber log over your repair so you can clamp it in place. you probably will need to file/sand that joint smooth. You might be able to use a heat gun to soften the rubber log and slide it over the repaired "donkey dick" (PVC pipe)??

It might be worth a try??

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

QuoteIt might be worth a try??

Really?  REALLY??

Worth a try — if perhaps one doesn't mind cobbing up this key thru hull on their boat.

Not to mention that the pic clearly shows the log was WORN away, not "broken", and the hole goes nearly clear to the entire exposed length of the log.  So not only would getting the correct Log Hose (not exhaust hose) onto it, the "joint" can't be adequately reinforced at the aft end and be able to properly fit a log hose to it.

"NO" Justin, don't even THINK about such a cob job.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Justin : Sorry about my inapt suggestion.  You best slap some "Bondo on it and buff it out"!!! :shock:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

That is going to be tricky to rebuild in place due to the minimum clearance on the underside.  I would seek some expert opinions from some well accomplished fiberglass repair vendors and see what they come up with.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte