Mk1 Pushpit cross bar removal?

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailing_Sona_Linn

Does anyone have any experience removing the horizontal cross bar on their Pushpit? I would like it out of the way to improve egress.  I can definitely cut it out and grind it flush.  I am curious if that might create some unanticipated structural weakness.
Chris & Kari Fuller
Sona Linn
1986 #41

ewengstrom

I bet I speak for all of us with MK1 boats when I say I'd LOVE to see that particular cross bar go. Stepping over that thing is both a PITA and "interesting" when you're tall like me and have to both duck under the bimini and get over the dreaded cross bar.....but it's there for a reason and that reason is the structural support it offers to each side of the pushpit.
That's why Catalina came up with the MK1.5 and MK2 boats, there is more dignity involved with getting on and off those models.  :thumb:
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

scgunner

Chris,

I cut mine out years ago and yes it's much more convenient. But to replace that structural support I took it (or them now) to a local stainless steel rail maker and had them add an additional leg to each side creating a tripod support for each side which is as solid as the original configuration. I'd also recommend an additional bar between top and bottom rail for additional support and while it's there have them weld caps over the cuts. If you do the R&R yourself it's not that expensive.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

ewengstrom

Kevin,
Do you have pics of the mod? I'd be interested in the placement of the new leg and where it lands. I've done modifications to railings before but mostly additions, not removal.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

KWKloeber

Quote from: Sailing_Sona_Linn on March 27, 2024, 04:19:08 PMDoes anyone have any experience removing the horizontal cross bar on their Pushpit? I would like it out of the way to improve egress.  I can definitely cut it out and grind it flush.  I am curious if that might create some unanticipated structural weakness.

Chris

My plan is to replace the solid tube with a hinged tube, w/ a spring-loaded pin on one end for easy disengagement to flip it open -- either vertically or horizontally (kept from flopping w/ a bungee.)  Or for safety sake, use something more secure  on that end so that it cannot open accidentally, like a bolt or a clevis pin secured with a hitch pin.  There's other ways the bar can be made removable (and not be hinged,) so it depends on how often it needs to be removed.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

Eric,

I'll see if I can't beat the rain down to the boat and get some pics. Mounting location should be as far into the corner as you can get which is about equal distance from the existing two legs that makes for a solid tripod base. I think I clamped a piece of wood in place to show the rail guys where I wanted it welded in place.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jon W

Hand rails would be a nice add when climbing up the ladder. Have you thought of adding hand rails from the pushpit to the transom just above where the ladder attaches to add structural integrity back into the system?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

scgunner

Jon,

I built a swim platform low on the back of the transom at about the same time I did the railing mods which made the original configuration of the swim ladder unworkable. So I took the ladder to the rail guys who cut off the ladder top then added two looped hooks to attach to the platform with the loops acting as hand holds. Another advantage of this setup is the ladder sits about a foot and a half deeper in the water which makes egress from water to boat easier especially for women. Maybe I should post some pics of that too.

Jon W

Hi Kevin, your swim platform sounds like it would make getting in and out of the dinghy easier too. Some pictures would be great. Thanks.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

scgunner

Guys,

Sorry it took this long but I've been dodging rain storms and I needed an assist from my IT guy (daughter). A couple of swim platform pics and the swim ladder which is the modified original ladder plus the rail modifications.

ewengstrom

Kevin,
Well....I knew I was going to like that, but I didn't know it would be as much as I do.....that's one slick mod sir.
Thanks for the first item on this winter's mod list!!!!!  :clap
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

scgunner

Eric,

It was actually two projects, the rail mod which makes pass through easier (especially for dogs) and the boarding/swim platform w/modified swim ladder. I also added a shower back there. When I built the platform I had two goals; make it as big as possible, and get it as low as possible. Of course there were trade offs, the lower it was mounted the smaller it had to be and the more difficult it was to securely install. I think I hit the sweet spot with a platform that's the same height off the water and roughly three times the area as the walk though step.