Replacing HX End Caps

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

I'm refitting the HX this week and wondering if I should use anything to help seat the new rubber washers on the HX end caps. Do they need any kind of sealing/gasket compound, or do they seal up OK just by themselves?
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

waughoo

I would not use any sealant in that application, nor have I encountered any.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Keel : No sealant needed. I'd just tighten the bolt until it is snug!! Don't over tighten!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Make sure both plates are flat and not cupped from previous over tightening.
While you are "in there anyway" if your Hx isn't bonded suggest you run a #14 green to a good engine ground point. A 3/8" lug fits the end bolt.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KeelsonGraham

Thank you all. Hmm I did wonder whether overtightening could do that. Could really do with a list of torque settings for all engine parts.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Ron Hill

Keel : No torque involved!!!  What you are trying to do is screw a bolt in the center of a soft metal end cap and compress a rubber seal around the outside. Snug does it and like Ken says if you keep screwing in the bolt you'll bend inward the center of the end cap!!   :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788