Exhaust fumes

Previous topic - Next topic

tmac

I've had an annoying issue when motoring where the exhaust gets sucked back into the cockpit to the point where I get headaches from the fumes. I think what's happening is my dodger is causing a vortex that draws the air up from the transom - kind of like in cars, where the rear spoiler is designed to prevent this same air vortex action.  Opening the front window on the dodger changes the airflow enough to alleviate this, but there are many days where it is uncomfortably chilly and we don't want to open the dodger window, so I'm looking for alternatives. Has anyone else ever had this issue, and if so, what did you do to correct it?  (And no - I don't want to add a spoiler on my stern rail  :D )   1988 C34. 
Tom McCanna
Bayfield, WI , Apostle Islands 1988 std. rig C34, #818 M-25xp, wing keel
Lake Superior - No Sharks, No Salt

Ron Hill

Tom : I've never heard of your problem before!! Do you have an enclosure? or some side curtains??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

tmac

Ron - I don't have a Bimini (yet...).  Just a typical dodger. I might experiment with some kind of deflector on the top of the dodger to change the airflow. The air must be coming off the top of the dodger and curling down into some kind of a vortex as it flows over the transom, pulling exhaust fumes up around the steering wheel. I've had about 10 episodes where it has gotten quite noxious at the wheel.
Tom McCanna

Jim Hardesty

Tom,
I don't have any good suggestions for you.  I would suggest that you make doubly sure that there isn't an exhaust leak.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jon W

Hi Tom, It's sometimes referred to as the "station wagon effect". Depending on weather conditions, the engine exhaust can roll up over the transom into the cockpit.

I know you said you don't have a bimini, but I first noticed the exhaust fumes after motoring a long time one day after installing my bimini and connector. Never noticed it before. I removed the connector and vast improvement, but still a hint of it. I checked my exhaust system and it seems fine. I haven't been able to get to the boat in months for various reasons. When I do, next steps are to:

recheck my exhaust system.
add fuel injector cleaner (maybe poor combustion).
if still noticeable install my aft weather cloths to see if that helps.
If still happening call a diesel mechanic to have the system checked out.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Tom : I wouldn't do anything until you get the Bimini on - because that will change the air flow and may solve the problem?!?

Might be worth rechecking that you are not getting exhaust from INSIDE the engine compartment!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Tom,

Something not right here, you shouldn't need a Bimini to correct the problem. In fact if your boat is still in original configuration you shouldn't have a problem in the first place. I've got a dodger and 1500+ hours motoring and I've never gotten a wiff. Has the exhaust out on your boat been relocated? Are you getting a good exhaust water flow? Is it warm but not hot to the touch?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

tmac

Like Jon said, it's the "station wagon effect".  I don't have any exhaust leaks inside the boat - I have CO detectors in the cabin for that eventuality. The exhaust is the same as the factory installation and is in good condition. Engine runs perfectly, and has good water flow out the exhaust. 
It isn't a consistent problem, just occasional, and most typically when motoring into the wind.  Like I said in the original post, if I open the dodger windows, it clears up. I'm seriously thinking of doing a test and mocking up a spoiler to mount onto the aft support of the dodger to see if that changes the airflow. Maybe I should get a smoke generator and watch the airflow...
Tom McCanna