replacing transducers and display(s)

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete G

I'm planning on adding a wind transducer to my boat.  It previously had a wind vane, but it blew off in a gale while moored.  I also need to replace the depth transducer, which is original Signet.  The speed transducer is in good working order, as is the display.  Recommendations?

Ditch the Signet? 

Is Raymarine the only choice? 

Wireless or wired? 

Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

Craig Illman

For your depth and speed, get at NMEA2000 tri-ducer that will interface with multiple manufacturers. There's another thread from just a short while ago that addressed wind indicators.

Craig

Noah

If you go with a "triducer" (depth, speed, temperature) you will only need one through-hull. Resulting in you having to seal up one of your through-hulls and probably replace/alter the remaining one to accommodate the triducer's size. Some work on the hard needed, but that is the way to modernize your setup for future NMEA 2000 network integration. However, Signet Marine is still in business in San Pedro CA and you might see if they can fix your old gear? As far as wind instruments, I would go wired. Note: there lots of brands of instruments sold by B&G, Raymarine, Garmin and Furuno. But, most all use triducers (DST) made by Airmar.  And, unfortunately, Airmar has been having quality control issues over the past couple of years. Lots of post about this on the WEB if you search.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

crieders

while we are at it, what model is our original airmar boat speed transducer?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Indian Falls

I put a Garmin Gwind 10 bluetooth sail package on mine.   Not all that happy with it.
Definitely don't use bluetooth for stuff on top of the mast.  I take my mast down every year but I can see not doing so being quite an issue.  Not to mention the 50' distance is on the edge of working 100% of the time.   
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

girmann

Quote from: Noah on January 10, 2024, 08:59:24 AMIf you go with a "triducer" (depth, speed, temperature) you will only need one through-hull. Resulting in you having to seal up one of your through-hulls and probably replace/alter the remaining one to accommodate the triducer's size.

I can verify this. I bought the Raymarine all in box set with wind, knot meter, depth and temperature and a couple of i70 displays. All was installed except for the triducer. It was a DST810 and does not fit in the same size through hull. I was going to leave the old depth sounder in there, rather than doing all that glass work.

In retrospect, I would have bought the B&G for all the great sailing features it has. Especially when paired with one of their chartplotters.

Mark
Mola Mola #1488
Proud owner of hull #1488

Pete G

I ended up ordering the replacement for the Signet depth meter.  Of course, it's no longer the same size.  The original was 1 7/8" and the replacement is 2".  The interwebs suggest using a 1 7/8" long hole saw inside of a 2" short hole saw.  We'll see how it goes.
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

Noah

It depends where your instrument is mounted, but I would try and figure out a way to temporarily attach a piece plywood to use as a hole saw template/guide for hole saw's pilot bit, or you may have problems with your hole saw "walking" and not centering.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

AndyBC

Quote from: girmann on April 22, 2024, 07:09:02 AMI can verify this. I bought the Raymarine all in box set with wind, knot meter, depth and temperature and a couple of i70 displays. All was installed except for the triducer. It was a DST810 and does not fit in the same size through hull. I was going to leave the old depth sounder in there, rather than doing all that glass work.

What's the model of your old depth transducer that didn't fit?  I also recently bought the i70 package.  I have the old Autohelm ST50 paired with the DT800 depth transducer.  My research indicated that the DST800 is the same size as the old DT800.  I'll find out when at the boat next in a week or so.
1998 C34 MKII #1394 - M35BC, WK

Ken Krawford

When faced with the task of needing a slightly larger transducer I used a tapered wood plug un the original opening.  Put the hole saw pilot bit in the exact center and you're in business.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Pete G

I had both a 2" and a 1 7/8" hole saw, but the smaller one isn't small enough to fit inside the larger.  If the hole was 1 3/4", I think this would have worked.  However, the "drops" from the 2" hole saw are exactly 1 7/8" in diameter.  I cut a couple of donuts from a 2/4 and screwed them onto the mandrel.  This worked perfectly, drilling in reverse. 

Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH