Heat Exchanger/exhaust elbow replacement recommendations universal 35b

Previous topic - Next topic

tomsoyer

I have a 2000 Catalina 34 with a universal 35b. I am going to be replacing the heat exchanger and the exhaust elbow. Does anyone have any recommendation's on where to purchase the two parts?

Noah

Catalina Direct sells a SS one for $650. Others have built their own DIY out of black iron plumbing parts which is no doubt cheaper but some work involved. I went the CD route for ease of sourcing and semi-painless install.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-34/engine/exhaust-system/exhaust-riser-c-34-late-b-series-engines/?SearchResults=1
They also sell Heat Exchangers but you might get a better deal from SeaKamp through
https://www.go2marine.com/Universal-Medalist-Replacement-Heat-Exchanger-3-Dia-x-17-5-8-OALfits-M35B-M25XPB-201027
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

tomsoyer

How long have you had the SS elbow in for? Any issues or all good?

Noah

One year. Works great! I also have a Seakamp 3 in. HX for 7 years. Flushed it once last year with lime-away. It also works great.
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

For Seakamp talk to Clark (360) 734-2788
p/n - 201027CN

They basically give theirs a rattle can painting that can let corrosion underneath/cause the paint to blister at the hose connections.  It can benefit from a couple coats of high-quality, oil-based enamel, like Rustoleum.  Order a few replacement cover gaskets and they also carry the anodes (if you use zinc.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

tomsoyer

Quote from: Noah on December 04, 2023, 09:32:55 PM
One year. Works great! I also have a Seakamp 3 in. HX for 7 years. Flushed it once last year with lime-away. It also works great.

Thanks for the info. I have a few more questions. I am going to be doing a exhaust upgrade and just working through everything i need and how to do it.

What is the year of your vessel?

For the exhaust elbow, what additional parts did you need. I am pretty sure i need this flange for the elbow:
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-350/engine/exhaust-system/engine-exhaust-flange-circular-quotbquot-series-engine/?SearchResults=1

Not sure if i need  to get this:https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-350/engine/exhaust-system/engine-exhaust-flange-female-circular-quotbquot-series-engine/?SearchResults=1

what approach did you take with the aqua lift muffler?

Noah

I am not the guy to give you specifics on your 35B motor. I have an M25XP. Not sure what you mean "what was your approach with Aqualift muffler"? My original muffler is doing fine. Do install a hump hose.
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Tom : I'm familiar with the flange, exhaust riser and hump hose / aqualift muffler, but what is the "exhaust elbow" that you refer to??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron,

I'm pretty sure he means exhaust riser.  Some people get the terminology wrong, because Yanmars have elbows, not Universals.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tomsoyer

Quote from: Noah on December 09, 2023, 12:33:19 PM
I am not the guy to give you specifics on your 35B motor. I have an M25XP. Not sure what you mean "what was your approach with Aqualift muffler"? My original muffler is doing fine. Do install a hump hose.

What i meant by what approach did you take with your aqual lift muffler is did you use a hump hose or do anything non standard. Recent post that i saw was unsinging 2  hump hose and a fiberglass elbow. Sounds like you should used a hump hose.

tomsoyer

Stu Jackson

Quote from: tomsoyer on December 09, 2023, 07:23:03 PM

What i meant by what approach did you take with your aqual lift muffler is did you use a hump hose or do anything non standard. Recent post that i saw was unsinging 2  hump hose and a fiberglass elbow. Sounds like you should used a hump hose.

Hump hose should go on the inlet of the muffler - it's the hose from the end of the exhaust riser from the engine; his helps remove vibration from the riser to the hose to the muffler intake port.

The outlet is usually just exhaust hose because it has enough room and doesn't have vibration so it doesn't need a hump hose.  If someone did it to connect to a fiberglass elbow, it's just an elegant but unnecessary solution to a physical arrangement issue.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Tom : The Hump hose is installed between the exhaust riser and the muffler to protect the inlet muffler collar from the engine vibrations (which over time WILL crack that fiberglass inlet collar!!! )   :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

tomsoyer

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 10, 2023, 01:00:59 PM
Tom : The Hump hose is installed between the exhaust riser and the muffler to protect the inlet muffler collar from the engine vibrations (which over time WILL crack that fiberglass inlet collar!!! )   :cry4`

A thought

Thanks, i will definitely be adding a hump hose.