Trading up to a C34

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Ted

Good work.

Of course, a 155 jib would be heresey here on San Francsico Bay.  Our max legal is a 130 for class one designs, but we're rarely in need of wind.

How DO you guys work out a boat with ONE headsail and deal with winds from 0 to 35?  :rolleyes:

Stu

PS  no real answer required...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Stu,

Up to 25 Kts we just tuck a reef in the main, sheet the genny in real tight, and hang on for dear life.   :D   "Windrush"  tried reefing their genny a couple of times, but we blew them out of the water when they did that.

John,

Because I wasn't in it I forgot to mention our Racine port-to-port race.  It's about 15 NM from Winthrop Harbor to Racine, WI.  "Windrush", the other C34 I mentioned,  acted as committee boat for the race and so they started dead last.  They worked their way up the field and passed most of the 20+ boats in the fleet.  A guy I talked to, who was racing on a C30, said he got his binocs out to make sure their engine was off.  "Windrush" ended up finishing first on corrected time.  And I think only 2 of the other boats crossed the finish ahead of them.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jkar

John,

Port Huron to Mackinac, 3 C-34's, two Mk I , one Mk II and one C320.  After 204nm, the two Mk I's beat the C320, the Mk II had a medical emergency that required USCG intervention, but they still only finished 3+ hrs behind.  The conditions were first 24hr 18-25kts broad reaching, the next 12 reaching 5-10kts, final 10 beating/reaching 6-18kts.  The C320 moved, finished within 30min, but he did admit that the first 24hrs he just watched us disappear over the horizon.