Push button engine start

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Shankle

For those who have been down this road before, is Cole Hersee part M-626-02-BX the correct part for the Seaward cockpit panel start button?
Key switch is working fine but no response to pushing the start button. I've had this issue previously and resolved it by tightening the connections on the panel, but not this time. Assume the button needs to be replaced. Not original panel BTW, I replaced it a number of years ago.
Thanks,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ed Shankle on October 09, 2023, 03:13:13 PM

For those who have been down this road before, is Cole Hersee part M-626-02-BX the correct part for the Seaward cockpit panel start button?

Assume the button needs to be replaced.

Yes.
If that one is unavailable you can use M-492-BP (for the START button or glow plug button w/a relay) and add the weather cover.   Can't use the M-492-BP direct to glow plugs (no relay.)

ASS/U/ME?
Why not use a multimeter to troubleshoot whether it IS the switch OR something else? 

It could be the barrel fuse holder on the S wire.  Is the S wire fuse OEM? 
Or a bad/loose S wire terminal to the starter solenoid.
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/wiki/7401
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/wiki/11336

What has been upgraded on the harness?  NO Gummys, etc.?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Ken, is the Cole Hersee M-626 BP xtra heavy duty push button with momentary on the correct replacement for the glow plug without a relay? Thanks for the help.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on October 09, 2023, 09:02:47 PM

Ken, is the Cole Hersee M-626 BP xtra heavy duty push button with momentary on the correct replacement for the glow plug without a relay?

Hey Jon

(If one believes the specs) the M-626 is rated 35a, with "Push" on the cap (as if we couldn't figure out that one) - so it can be used for start, glow plug, and preheat relay/solenoid.

The M-626-02 is additionally rated 10a @ 24v and has a plain black cap — so can be used for the same applications.
Both have the back-facing terminals screws.

The M-492 is rated 10a  - so it can be used for start and preheat relay/solenoid but needs the weather cap added (83280-03-BP) 
It has a rectangular body w/ side terminal screws.

The BX (put an "O" after the B) and BP (put a "lister" after the B and "ack" after the P) is the packaging.

Cheers
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ed Shankle

Thanks Ken and Jon. I picked up that tip regarding the fuse while searching the site. Will check that tomorrow when back to the boat.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Ed : The Cole Hersees M 626 -BP in also the same as the M490, but has a moisture repellant cover that goes on the outside to protect the switch. 
If you had that cover on your old switch it probably would have saved that switch from failing?!?

I also have a rubber cover on my key switch - for just that reason!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

To be precise the M-490 is the same as the M-626-02 - rated for 24v
The M-626 is rated for only 12v.

Actually, my preferred switch is usually the short #9245, rated the same as the M-626-02 and 490, and there's no reason to have all that long real estate hanging off the back of a 1/4" panel.

Ed Shankle

Thanks again guys for the fuse reminder. Fuse itself was ok, but the contact on one end of the fuse holder seemed a bit cruded up. Didn't appear to be oxide, but whatever it was, I cleaned it up, returned the fuse and it started right up.
BTW, I do have a weatherproof cap on the start button, which is why I didn't think it was that. But was prepared to buy one to find out.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Salem, MA

KWKloeber

The S fuse being there is a handy spot to troubleshoot whether the starter solenoid is/is not getting power from the start switch.  Of course, you need LONG arms to reach the panel :shock:

It's quick & eazy peazy before pulling the panel. :thumb:

Ed, I'd replace the barrel fuse w/ a 16 or 14ga ATC or ATM fuse holder and also check and possibly upgrade the S terminal !!
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/wiki/7401#The-Starter-Solenoid-22S22-Wire22-Terminal

Ron Hill

Ed : I've written a number of Mainsheet tech note articles an changing out the spring loaded fuse holders for the glass BUSS fuses.  The holders become corroded and cause problems - especially for the M25 & M25XP starter circuits.  I recommend the stab-in fuses and that "stab- in" fuse holder.    :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."