Advice for new jib furling system

Previous topic - Next topic

spoon239

My Hood Seafurl 2 is causing me major issues jamming up when furling/unfurling. Given what I have read online about issues getting parts/cost, I think it's time to move on to something new. Any advice for a new jib furling system - Harken? Furlex? ANy advice on brand and decent models for a 1986 C 34 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Paul

Stu Jackson

Many reviews of questions of this nature end up with not unreasonable praise for the choices the reviewers themselves have made.  :clap

There are basically two choices:  add a halyard restrainer or buy a system with one built in. 

Only ProFurl offers a system that has a halyard restrainer built in to the top of the foil above the top swivel.  All other other systems IIRC require a halyard restrainer, unless the top swivel is placed very high on the forestay.

I have a 2003 ProFurl and am very happy with it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

QuoteMy Hood Seafurl 2 is causing me major issues jamming up when furling/unfurling.

What do you mean by jamming up?  To me that sounds like more of a problem with the furling line or the halyard wrapping.  Both correctable.  As long as the bearings are good, the foil is good and everything turns well the furler should work fine.
I think any new jib furler, properly installed, will give fine service.  I installed a Furlex on a previous boat the quality and performance impressed me.  The OEM Scheffer on Shamrock has performed flawlessly.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

spoon239

Thank so much for the replies. When I furl & unfurl the jib, 50% of the time I cannot get it to move on the drum - either way. I have to manually turn the drum with my hand and even then it is very difficult to get it to move.

Jon W

Do you have overrides with the furler drum line or is it just stiff?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Patches

Hi Paul:

I was faced with similar choices a few years ago.  My boat had the original Harken Mark 1 furler.  I first tried correcting it with a halyard restrainer, and it didn't really solve the problem.  After considerable research, I replaced it with a new Harken Mark 4 after asking my rigger about what he would put on his own boat.  The price was pretty good from Fisheries Supply, who had it drop shipped directly to me from Harken. 

I also went with the "long leg" extensions to get the genoa off the deck and for better visibility.  It has performed beautifully.  As a sailboat charter, I go out 12-18 times a week and it has never let me down in all kinds of conditions.

Patches

spoon239

I think I solved the Jib issue. When the jib was rigged they used the spinnaker halyard instead of the jib halyard. after I switched the jib to use the jib halyard, it does not seem to be getting stuck anymore. There was some serious line wrap going on after further inspection. Fingers crossed problem is solved. I am a new owner of this yacht so learning something new every day. I appreciate all the responses.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThere was some serious line wrap going on after further inspection. Fingers crossed problem is solved. I am a new owner of this yacht so learning something new every day.
:thumb:
Suggest you take binoculars and look at the lead for the jib halyard.  On most there's a fairlead on the mast routing the halyard down near the swivel so that it doesn't follow the foil and lead to wraps.  I think the installation instructions call for a minimum of 5 degrees angle to the halyard/forstay.  If the luff of the sail is short it could be a problem, easily fixed by making a pendant to lift the sail tack and the head and swivel to get a good halyard angle.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA