Just an update

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

I have had a few ask me to update the project. I had some of the best news so far, a buddy of mine who is a diesel mechanic stopped by the boat and check the motor and transmission. With a fully charged battery and 2 turns of the key the motor fired right up and purrs like a kitten. He did suggest replacing all the hoses as some of them are showing their age. He also said the hoses that go to the water heater have been put in a loop and is bypassing the heater (not sure why??)
After the media blasting I have sanded the hull and fixed the Catalina smile. I ordered barrier coat this week and I am hoping to paint the hull this weekend. I don't think its possible for me to do the barrier coat and the bottom paint in one weekend so I will have to sand the bottom again next weekend and then do the bottom paint.
The V berth has all the woodwork completed and the insides of the compartments are painted. I still want to paint under the bed but that seems like a good rainy day project.
Aft cabin has been cleaned and all the panels and running trim has been completed. Me and the wife have decided to put mattresses in the v berth and the aft cabin.
Working on the saloon at present I have the bulkheads varnished and running trim completed I took out the paneling above the sliding glass doors and not sure if I am going to replace them.
whats left besides a really long list Basic. Galley replace countertops and divider that was ruined by water same with the other side by the nav station. And of course the head, I only have the door varnished. And of course the fun stuff all the plumbing and electric.

I am thinking about trying epoxy countertops for the kitchen and the small counters in the v berth and aft cabin I have these all finished already but i think I can put it right over the formica.
And probably the most disgusting thing I have ever done was cleaning the bilge that had water in it for 4 years everything was slimy at least 1/4 thick. I plan on sanding the bilge and then paint, but every time I get ready to sand more water found its way back in I'm told it comes from the mast. For only working on the weekends I'm pretty happy with the progress.
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

KWKloeber

Quote from: melp64 on August 22, 2023, 03:31:15 PM

hoses that go to the water heater have been put in a loop and is bypassing the heater (not sure why??)

Kudos!!  Pictures, pictures, pictures? :clap :thumb:

Typically when a WH is bypassed it's sprung a leak. :cry4`
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Dan : Sliding Glass Doors???  Explain!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

melp64

The dark tinted Plexiglas's slide by doors in the saloon on both sides. Did you know it only takes 4 screws to take that whole section apart
Dan

Noah

You can lever up the the top teak trim piece track (by pushing up on it) and remove the plexiglas sliders. No screw extraction needed.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: melp64 on August 22, 2023, 03:31:15 PM
I have had a few ask me to update the project.

Thanks for the update.  But for some of us, update for what?  One should either continue the original post or at least provide a link to the earlier thread.  It makes more sense for all of us and a better record for you, too.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Dan : On those sliding plexi-glass doors - I put Ash batting strips on top of mine (Contact Cement) It really lightened up the salon!! Made every thing bigger!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

The top track on my sliding doors has no bung plug and thus the screws are visible and easy to remove.  I am not sure if this is typical or if someone removed them previously, but you might want to check in the event you can't lift them out.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

melp64

Because the top shelf had water stains and the petition between the galley and saloon was damaged I unscrewed the 4 screws in the cleats below the shelf and completely removed it for sanding and varnish. There is a ledge that the back of the shelf sits on, nothing else holds it in except 4 screws. I will post some of the finished pictures after this weekend.
Dan

ewengstrom

Dan,
We did very similar work to our boat in the year or so after we purchased her. I love seeing your progress and I can speak from personal experience that you're just going to love the finished product. Our boat looks practically brand new down below and is such an improvement over what we started with. (smells much better too)  :thumb:
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

melp64

here's a few more pictures from the long weekend. I ended up tearing out the head counter top. I cant believe how much water damage their is. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to fix the bulkhead between the nav station and I haven't figured out the bulkhead on the back wall that goes to the aft cabin. does anyone know what the button on the main wall is in the head, there isn't any wires connected to the back of it.
Dan

melp64

A few more pictures The companion way slates were as gray as the side trim boards, they only have 3 coats of varnish but I plan on at least 7-8 coats. The trim pieces I have to break out the belt sander as it took hours of sanding with 80 grit on the slates the belt sander should make a quicker job of the outside trim.
Dan

Jon W

Pretty sure the only OEM switch/button in the 1987 head is the switch below the head sink for the shower pump. What are you calling the main wall in the head?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

melp64

The wall between the nav station. There is a switch with a plaque that say shower pump, this switch has a black rubber protective end on it
Dan

Jon W

A photo of the button you're talking about would be helpful. Do you have a manual toilet?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca