Best/Worse coolant for M25

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

I can't find it, but somewhere I read a thread regarding coolant(s) to avoid in this engine. I'll be replacing mine so I want to get it right.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

scgunner

Prestone green (original) been using it since 1988 with no issues.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jon W

Are you thinking of the orange colored Dex-Cool?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

porch : Just get the BEST Preston Brand Ethelene Glycol .  Read the bottle and make sure it will mix with any other Ethelene Glycols!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Porchhound on August 10, 2023, 12:26:29 PM
I can't find it, but somewhere I read a thread regarding coolant(s) to avoid in this engine. I'll be replacing mine so I want to get it right.

[edited]

Dave

The Dex-Cool (red/pink orangish) is what I think you are referring to NOT use in our engines.

Either an ethyl glycol (green, toxic) or propol glycol (pink, more environmentally safe not as permanent) antifreeze is what you want.  There's message archives on here that speak to flushing and replacing the mix (50% AF - 50% distilled water)  Search for those.  Also check Rod Collins' site -- he may have an article on engine AF.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Breakin Away

FWIW, I switched to Zerex G05 a couple years ago. It is a light amber color - not green, orange, pink, or red. It's a Heavy Duty ethylene glycol type antifreeze, with HOA for corrosion protection, and with anti-cavitation additives that are helpful for the high compression vibrations experienced by diesel engines. The anti-cavitation would be critically important for engines with sleeved cylinders, but I do not think that any of Universal's engines have that. I'm not going to claim it's the only one to use, or even the best one. It's just another alternative that you might want to check into.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

KWKloeber

Quote from: Breakin Away on August 12, 2023, 08:18:14 PM

The anti-cavitation would be critically important for engines with sleeved cylinders, but I do not think that any of Universal's engines have that.

I don't pretend to know why it would or wouldn't make a difference w/ antifreeze but the Bs' cylinders are not lined, the old engines are.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain