Lightning hit?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Shankle

Can't confirm it since we were away for a few days last week/weekend while couple of tstorms passed though. But when we went to the boat this past Weds, I found the oil pressure alarm that comes on when turning the ignition key over didn't work. At first I thought it was a power issue, but gave the start button a push and the engine turned over as usual. Tried a couple more times to be sure and no start issues other than the silent alarm. Soon I found the raymarine wind indicator not working, the VHF only receiving not transmitting and later that night, my anchor light out. I checked out connections at the mast base and everything looked ok. Got back from an overnight yesterday and plan to do some troubleshooting today. Wondering if I should be placing orders for a new VHF (and maybe antenna which was new this year), wind speed/direction indicator, and pressure alarm (and anchor light bulb). Or wait until the yard can check out the mast head?
Thoughts?
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

sselinger

It sound like a near miss. Had the same issue on my 27. The oil pressure warning has a diode in the circuit, and a pulse from the lighting bolt about 15 feet from the boat fried it and other electronics on the boat.
Good luck
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Ron Hill

Ed : When that 9,000volt gorilla hits - even near by- all kind of this happen.  I'd have the yard check things out!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788