Black soot and cleaning

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

As I am refinishing the interior the more I notice black soot in the head and aft cabin. Is there a specific item on the exhaust that would be the most area that would leak. Has anyone had to clean soot off the fiberglass what did they use
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Ron Hill

Dan : Closely examine the exhaust riser - especially from the attachment to the engine all along the riser itself down to the nipple from where the HX water empties to the connection on the aqua lift muffler.  If that is all OK then you'd better look at the 17 ft of exhaust hose from the muffler to the hull thru hull!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Breakin Away

If you have not done so already, I suggest that you purchase a battery powered carbon monoxide alarm right away and install it in your aft berth. Black soot on the interior is a big red flag suggesting that you have toxic exhaust gasses also entering the interior. If you go down below with the engine running, you may get CO poisoning and you will not know what hit you. It's a hidden killer.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

melp64

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 06, 2023, 02:36:29 PM
Dan : Closely examine the exhaust riser - especially from the attachment to the engine all along the riser itself down to the nipple from where the HX water empties to the connection on the aqua lift muffler.  If that is all OK then you'd better look at the 17 ft of exhaust hose from the muffler to the hull thru hull!!

A few thoughts
Do you have any pictures or diagrams of what you are referring to. This is my first sail boat and I hate to admit I have no Idea what an aqua lift muffler even looks like. I know there is a gray plastic thing under the sink I apologize for the lack of my knowledge
Dan

melp64

Ron
inside the motor compartment is completely black. When I removed the teak frames and doors in the head the inside of the teak doors were black, It took a lot of sanding to bring it back. I am assuming that anywhere the motor fumes could get to is going to be black do you have any suggestions on cleaning the motor areas
Dan

Noah

Dan— use the search function on this website. The are 40+ postings under term "aqualift". Probably more under "exhaust riser"? Also, check on Catalina Direct website store for more info...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Which engine model do you have?

Is the crankcase vent hose discharging freely or has it been directed to the air intake?

Tough Love - If you have no clue as to what you have purchased or what you're doing/looking at, it's time to invest in professional help to at least teach you about the boat systems before something disastrous occurs.

What was the purchase situation?  No broker involved to run you through what you were purchasing?

Super Roll Off is a very good cleaner (IMO) for exhaust soot
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

melp64,

I'll second Breaking, before you do anything else get a CO detector and mount it low where you sleep. Unlike smoke or CNG it is not lighter than air and will pool at the bottom of the boat. Mount smoke detectors high CO detectors low.

I think I'd focus on fixing the exhaust leak before I worried about cleaning what the leak created. If the staining is as impressive as you describe it shouldn't be to hard to track down the source of the leak, it'll be the blackest part of the boat. As suggested by Ron I'd suspect the exhaust riser I've heard some of the early boats used galvanized pipe rather than formed S/S tubing. If that's the case the galvanized likely corroded through one or more places long ago leaving only the insulation between you and the exhaust fumes. BTW, that "gray plastic thing under the sink" should be that white fiberglass thing under the sink.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Dan : I'm sure that you have M25XP engine - so go to our web site and look at the engine description and learn the parts.

If you have a slip mate that has a C30, C32, C34 or C36 have them give you a quick orientation on the engine!!

There are many sailboats that have the Universal engine installed.  i.e later 34' O'Day's ; 35' Erickson's just to mention a few.  Those owners I'm sure will help you get started!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

melp64

Thanks Ron I have started to make a few friends in the yard now. Everyone keeps asking if I bought captain joes boat as he was there for 20 some years. One thing I was looking for was did anyone ever clean black soot? and what did they use. Last week end I just figured out that I can remove the two large panels in the aft cabin this should open up the transom and port side, when I remove these this week end I will probably see how much more soot I am going to have to clean.
Dan

pbyrne

Quote from: melp64 on July 07, 2023, 04:28:41 PM
Thanks Ron I have started to make a few friends in the yard now. Everyone keeps asking if I bought captain joes boat as he was there for 20 some years. One thing I was looking for was did anyone ever clean black soot? and what did they use. Last week end I just figured out that I can remove the two large panels in the aft cabin this should open up the transom and port side, when I remove these this week end I will probably see how much more soot I am going to have to clean.

Black soot is definitely diesel exhaust.  Do not run the engine at all until resolved.

The aqua lift looks like this https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-350/engine/exhaust-system/aqua-lift-muffler-custom/.

You will find it in the aft berth, on the port side.  You should (I do on a MKII) have 3 access panels in the aft berth below the cushions.  Lift the large middle one, and the port side one.  You should see a white box similar to the link above.  There should be a large black hose attached to it that runs from the port side of the engine.  This is the exhaust hose and aqua lift muffler system.

The exhaust gases are mixed with water to cool the exhaust gases.  The water comes from the engines raw water cooling system, which is driven by the impeller on the front of the engine.  When enough water is built up in the muffler it 'shoots' out the exhaust thru hull at the back of the boat.  Hence the periodic explusion of water from the port stern, or stern of any other sailboat for that matter.  If you don't have water coming out of the stern either, check the impeller and raw water cooling.  You need this for everything to work, and stop from overheating the engine too.

Follow the black hose from the aqua lift back to the connection on the engine.  If you've got that much soot in the boat, you likely should be able to see the point the exhaust is exiting the engine manifold (large long rectangle bolted to the side of the engine) or where the hose it leaking.  Maybe use a cloth and follow the whole hose back rubbing it and inspecting the cloth.

Check out the 25 series engine photos at top.  I think your exhaust hose should be connected at the port lower side of the heat exchanger.

https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/wiki/9626#Coolant-flow-on-the-B-series-engines-28e-g-2C-M-35B2C-M-25XPB-shown29

Getting professional help if the engine has been that neglected, to do a complete inspection is probably a good idea.  It's EXTREMELY dangerous to have diesel exhaust in the boat.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Jon W

On the 1987 it's in the head locker under the sink. It's the box with the two hoses coming out of the top.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

pbyrne

Quote from: Jon W on July 07, 2023, 06:35:40 PM
On the 1987 it's in the head locker under the sink. It's the box with the two hoses coming out of the top.

Ah. That explains the soot on the teak for the head sink doors...
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Ron Hill

Dan : Are you in the water or on jack stands???

If there is THAT much black soot I believe that if you run the engine and just feel/look at the exhaust system piece by piece you'll find the leak!!  You just have to make sure the boat is open and you have fans running1!  There is a way to run the engine (for a short time 5/10 minutes) on land.

FYI - The "box" under the galley sink with 2/3 hoses from it is your HOT WATER HEATER !!  The white "box" way back under the head sink with 2 hoses is the MUFFLER !!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Might it also be belt dust?  Just a thought....
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447