Has anyone cut the shaft access lid on MKll?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Has anyone cut the shaft access lid/cover?  I'm not sure what to call it, the big piece of plywood/signboard underneath the aft berth mattress to access the end of the transmission, filter, strainer and shaft log.  I adjusted the shaft log the other day and thought that I could do a lot less unloading if it was cut in half, about where the mattress splits.  I use the v-berth for sleeping and the aft berth for storage, so there's usually a lot of stuff there.  And that cover is so big.  Most things I need to access are forward of the mattress split, so it makes sense to me.  But, thought I'd check if others have done this and had unforeseen issues.
FWIW.  When in a rush, ie the strainer plugs underway, I partially unloaded and lift the big cover with the aft end still loaded and slide it over the engine box a little sideways.  Gives me enough room to do my thing quicker. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Yes, Jim, I cut mine in half, fore to aft.  I sometimes leave the starboard side part way out and still don't have any issues with the cushions.  I, too, sleep in the V berth but on our six week trip from SF to BC I slept aft while my son was up front.  Never an issue even when part way out.  What I suggest though is to add a fingerhole to the section you lift most, I didn't and keep reminding myself to do it someday!

I also cut my V berth boards and the section over the thru hulls and macerator pump.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

robbjd

Jim, cut mine last week after wrestling with our one piece mattress. I cut the piece that butts up against the engine access cover at the two foot mark and drilled an 1 1/4" hole for one finger removal. Now I can slide the mattress a few inches, and access the strainer, Racor, and shaft seal.
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Ron Hill

Guys : I also leave mine ajar like Stu.  Then easy to slide and get at the packing gland. I take a throwable and bend it in half to keep the cushion up. Unlike the MK II I only have a 4" cushion not a mattress in the aft cabin to deal with.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788