Rebedding Beckson Ports

Previous topic - Next topic

David Comando

I started last year re bedding the 6 Beckson ports on Kindred Spirit, There were some leaks that were annoying, and after my 20th season with the boat I decided with the help from the Teck Wiki instructions to take on the project. The first one I tackled was a breeze, the trim ring came off easily, and the port nearly fell out on it's own. The second and third went well, the third needing the port puller tool to remove. And yes, you need to give yourself about 2 hours a port.
This year I'm attempting to finish the job, Port 4 came out using the puller. In about 3 hours I had it installed. Yesterday I went after port 5. From 9:30am to 4:30 pm I was pulling, peeling, and praying that it would come out. It seems that 3M 5200 was used to install it. I broke one port puller, made another, with thicker wood, and broke that one too trying to remove the port as I scraped and peeled around the port. My wife came to help and suggested putting some solvent around the port. So I tried Interlux Paint remover, which seemed to dissolve the 5200 into a curdled milk consistency. It came out finally.

Here are my questions:
1. Was the 5200 used in 1986 by Catalina to first install the ports? I believe the PO was the one who wrote the Teck Wiki directions and would not have used it.
2. On my final one, if I confront 5200 again should I just silicone on a new trim ring and install a new gasket and screen?
3. Is there an easier way to put the gaskets on the port? It seems inches too small to get around on the first try. We had 4 hands, and a partially closed window to hold and manipulate the gasket into the groove, which is still not fully installed.

I tried numerous methods to install the prior gaskets. I super lubed (BIG MISTAKE), boiled to soften them,  left in the sun to warm them. They are in, and the ports don't leak. But I have one partially in and 2 more to install. My dock neighbors are getting annoyed with my language as I curse my way through the process. Help!
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: David Comando on June 22, 2023, 06:15:12 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>
Here are my questions:
1. Was the 5200 used in 1986 by Catalina to first install the ports? I believe the PO was the one who wrote the Teck Wiki directions and would not have used it.
2. On my final one, if I confront 5200 again should I just silicone on a new trim ring and install a new gasket and screen?
3. Is there an easier way to put the gaskets on the port? It seems inches too small to get around on the first try. We had 4 hands, and a partially closed window to hold and manipulate the gasket into the groove, which is still not fully installed.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1.  Not my experience on mine and I've redone 5 or 6 of the 8.

2.  Based on Beckson's instructions, use ONLY silicone.

3.  The gaskets are very difficult.  Follow the instructions.  Give your fingers a rest, often.  hardest part of the job, worth it when done.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

David : It's hard to believe that "The Captain" would have used M5200 to bed in those ports !!??

On my two (aft cabin) ports I found and used silicone.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

David Comando

Thanks for the input.
I am sure that "The Captain" would have only used silicone as I have in following the directions. Perhaps the PO,  before my PO, used 5200.
If the final one I tackle has 5200, should I leave it as is and just silicone on a new trim ring, and install a new gasket and screen?
Installing the gasket does get me and the Admiral up close and personal as our 4 arms intertwine to press the gasket into the groove!
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

Ed Shankle

Debond marine formula is supposed to be the 5200 buster. Haven't tried it myself yet, however.
Good luck with the last one,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Breakin Away

FWIW, Re-Mov Silicone and Adhesive Remover is another alternative that was rated a little higher than Debond. I've used it for a number of things. It doesn't dissolve the sealant; it creeps between the two sealant and substrate and causes a loss of adhesion. As such, it required some patience - pry up a little at a time, then wait for it to creep some more. I've found a lot of uses for it both on the boat and at home.

Practical Sailor ratings of both of these products can be found here: https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-maintenance/ps-tests-adhesive-removers

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

David Comando

Thanks for the advice and input. As Chuck Hughes, Sand Save #223 wrote in his thorough directions to rebedding ports, ".Here are the Basic Steps to re-rebed leaking C34 Beckson ports if working in a perfect world
No truer words were written. Job is almost complete, a couple of gaskets are almost fully in place.
Now to address my fuel filler hose leak/replacement.
BTW, I will be going to the Catalina Rendezvous on Block Island, Rhode Island. I hope to have all projects all behind me. Hope to see you there.

Ron Hill

Dave : Look in the Mainsheet tech notes as I wrote an article on replacing the fuel fill fixture. 

Have fun at the Rendezvous!!   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788