M35 Engine Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Heyman

Well, it's time to replace my M35 on my 1990 C34.  I have read many of the write ups on this forum and read Ron's article on his M25XPB install.  What I haven't seen is anyone talking out the installation of a Beta30 and the compatibility issues. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
It also seems the Beta engines are more popular as replacements?  Reasons?

Joe Heyman
1990 #1049
Wing keel Walkthrough transom
Joe Heyman
1990 #1049
Wing Keel Standard
Walk thru transom

Ron Hill

Joe : With replacing your 4 cylinder M35 you also have the option of the M35BC engine (4 cylinder) and the gain of 5 more HP !!

Us guys with the 3 cylinder Universal don't have the option of replacing with a 4 cylinder - way toooo much carpentry of the companion way, steps, etc. to fit that 4 cylinder engine into a space that was originally made for a 3 cylinder engine!!  :cry4`

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Joe Heyman

Ron

I don't think they make an M35BC  :? .  The options I've been given from the dealer are the M25XPB or a Volvo D1-30.
Joe Heyman
1990 #1049
Wing Keel Standard
Walk thru transom

waughoo

I am curious what has got you to the decision of replacement?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Joe Heyman

Engine coolant line broke and the engine overheated above 240!  To hopefully answer the follow up questions...boat was at my dock, running at 2000 rpm in gear, I was at my shop and when I got back to the boat (20min) the engine was shut down, steam everywhere and the temperature gauge was pegged above 240.  Interestingly the next day the engine started but I immediately shut it down, I thought it would have been locked up. 
Joe Heyman
1990 #1049
Wing Keel Standard
Walk thru transom

KWKloeber

Quote from: Joe Heyman on June 06, 2024, 02:54:28 PMI don't think they make an M35BC  :? .  The options I've been given from the dealer are the M25XPB or a Volvo D1-30.

Yes, Universal makes an M-35B and an M-35B(C).
(The (C) is simply a slight change in the wiring schematic to accommodate Catalina vs Westerbeke engine panels.)  You might be able to find one that was rebuilt or removed from a dead boat?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Quote from: Joe Heyman on June 06, 2024, 05:31:39 PMInterestingly the next day the engine started but I immediately shut it down, I thought it would have been locked up. 

So have you run compression checks or other diagnostics? Maybe you're lucky?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Joe Heyman

I have not run compression checks.  I'll  probably start it this weekend before I finalize a new engine purchase. 
I'm only looking at new engines, not rebuilt.
Joe Heyman
1990 #1049
Wing Keel Standard
Walk thru transom

waughoo

I know that many folks love to get shiny new things (myself included), but it seems to me that you could at the very least take your existing block to a machine shop and test the run out on the block deck and cylinder head as well as the condition of the cylinder bore.  A rebuilt diesel Tractor engine like this is technically not any different than a new one.  The cost might even be more reasonable to rebuild than replace when one considers all the ancillary changes needed to accept a new engine.  I have rebuilt a number of engines for classic cars, motorcycles and a 2 stroke scooter and I have no reason to doubt their reliability once rebuilt.

As Ken says, at the very least, take some compression readings and see what you have.  It seems silly to toss something that could be repaired.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

QuoteAs Ken says, at the very least, take some compression readings and see what you have.  It seems silly to toss something that could be repaired.

I agree, Kobata engines are robustly built.  Maybe little or no harm was done.  I'd get it running and check it out.  I also agree that rebuilding is a very good option.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Joe,

I'd start with the assumption that the motor is still good rather than assuming it needs to be replaced. Down the road replacement is always an option but it would be a real bummer to replace the motor and find it was still good. I've pegged the needle on the temp gauge two or three times and due to safety concerns had to keep the motor running for 15 to 20 minutes with no ill effects afterward. Once it was due to a split coolant hose but it's usually caused buy sucking up kelp into the intake, there's a lot of kelp in SoCal waters.

Since you were able to restart it the next day there was probably no serious harm done. I'd run the usual tests of course to make sure it's developing power and not overheating and if nothing else to restore your confidence in the motor but otherwise you're probably good to go. As the old saying goes "If it ain't broke don't fix it" or in your case replace it!
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Guys : I was surprised, but Joe was correct. I went on the Westerbeck site and they no longer make the M35 engine!!   :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 09, 2024, 02:17:11 PMGuys : I was surprised, but Joe was correct. I went on the Westerbeck site and they no longer make the M35 engine!!   :cry4`

A thought

Boat manufactures are going to saildrive.  I think it's easier for them.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA