Main sail type

Previous topic - Next topic

TortolaTim

I have a wonky aftermarket furling main (which I despise) and am finally getting around to putting the old, original main back on the boat. It's been in a bag since I've owned it. So, dumb question, but I can't tell if it's attached or loose footed. It has what appears to be a bolt rope sewn into the foot, but the foot has a definite curve cut into it, making me wonder if it's not loose footed. Wouldn't an attached foot sail have a straight cut foot to slide into the boom slot?
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

waughoo

The curved bottom is to allow the sail to take an airfoil shape despite being bolt roped into the boom. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Question to someone that has a "Loose Footed Main" : Does your Mainsail have a bolt rope???

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Ron,

Mine does not but the original sail that came with the boat did. I find the loose foot easier to adjust and handle it responds better to the out haul.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

derekb

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 14, 2023, 12:20:46 PM
Question to someone that has a "Loose Footed Main" : Does your Mainsail have a bolt rope???

My loose-footed main (Doyle) doesn't have a bolt-rope.

I also have a stack-pack (also Doyle) which prevents the use of a bolt-rope.

Cheers,
Derek
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Jim Hardesty

The picture doesn't show the clew well, doesn't look to be reinforced much.  I am not a great expert on sail making, but think that the clew needs to be well reinforced on a loose footed mainsail.  Looks to me like that sail is not intended to be loose footed.  I could be mistaken, it's happened before.  Does look like a lot of curve to the foot, sail may well be stretched out.  You may want to take it to a sailmaker for an evaluation. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

TortolaTim

Having taken a closer look, I think it is indeed an attached foot sail. You can definitely tell that the bolt rope has been slid in and out of the groove based on the wear and metal residue on the material. I just need to get a year or so out of it, as I'll probably spring for a set of new sails next year. Thanks for the replies!
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL