Propane tank

Previous topic - Next topic

SailingJerry

Is the 4 lb propane tank from Catalina direct okay to use in my propane locker on my 1990 sugar scoop? Catalina 34? I used a regular 5 lb steel tank but within a year it's showed signs of rust. I cannot find an appropriately sized aluminum tank since my last one no longer had the correct top on it. I have the standard white propane locker box with the blue top on it. Any direction in this would be appreciated.
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Noah

Yes that CD tank will work but you may also need the retrofit locker lid, which sold by CD as well.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-350/interior/propane-locker-lid-only-retrofit/?SearchResults=1
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI cannot find an appropriately sized aluminum tank since my last one no longer had the correct top on it.

If you still have the original tank a propane supplier may be able to update and inspect for a lot less than a new tank. Was a common thing to do a few years ago.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: SailingJerry link=msg=97713 date=1716991921

I used a regular 5 lb steel tank but within a year it's showed signs of rust.

[
/quote]

Have you considered simply applying some Rustoleum paint?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jerry : I was able to use the 10lb bottle OEM lid after making anew propane bottle Box even.  Also you can modify the inside of that lid incase it is too tall.

As Mentioned, I'd wire brush off the rust and spray paint the old bottle.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

You can repaint the tanks however, check the manufacturing date stamp on the tank. They are only allowed to fill them if the tank is less than 12-years old.
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : I've found that most trailer parks with propane will usually refill any bottle even those without an OPD conversion. 

I know it isn't legal, I'm just telling you what they do!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ron— I don't see how it is possible to fit a 10lb. Propane cylinder in the standard C34 MKI white starboard/plastic box (under helm seat) even with the taller retrofitted blue lid kit. It is made for a (1 gallon) 4lb.-5 lb.  cylinder. Do you have a photo?
Standard Rig

SailingJerry

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 29, 2024, 10:12:20 AM
Quote from: SailingJerry link=msg=97713 date=1716991921

I used a regular 5 lb steel tank but within a year it's showed signs of rust.

[
/quote]

Have you considered simply applying some Rustoleum paint?
Did that once already. Not going to tempt fate with a possibly compromised tank.
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Ron Hill

Noah : Sorry for my goof up - Look in the Mainsheet tech notes for my article w/pictures on how to use the same OEM lid and other parts after you make a New Box.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

David Sanner

Wire brush and painting sounds like a good idea.  If in bad shape I'd replace to be on the safe side but some scofflaws have refilled their tank by using a typical 20lb/bbq tank (turned upside down so the liquid flows).  Lots of adapters on amazon or make your own.  Connect and then open both valves.  If the tank is not filling you may need to loosen the vent screw on the tank that is being filled for a second or two.  Finish by closing both valves (bbq side first) and then disconnecting the tanks.  If you're not sure / uncomfortable working with propane take the tank to be refilled.  There are options to trade-in / re-validate tanks but your local sources may vary.
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Noah

I just bought a replacement tank THIS week on Amazon. My current tank expires in a few months. The new tank cost me $85 with free shipping. I am now good for another 12 years!
Standard Rig