Espar diesel htr blows white smoke

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

Not certain why exhaust from espar is blowing white smoke. My last boat had one and that didn't happen. Out of caution I shut it down. Any ideas. This was a fix based on survey and supposedly it ran fine.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

mark_53

Possibly condensation in the exhaust.  Do you have a low point drain in the exhaust?

Porchhound

I'll check. That would make sense with the rainy weather.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

waughoo

It might need a good run on high.  With what you've said about this boat sitting for so long, it likely hasn't had much use. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

Porchhound,

How much white smoke? A wisp or is it billowing or something in between? Is it smoke or steam which could be caused by a cooling system blockage like an impeller vane that came adrift and got lodged in a downstream elbow. Smoke could indicate a bigger problem.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

waughoo

Gunner... he is talking about his Espar cabin heater.

Porch... despite gunners confusion, his questions would be valuable information to have. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Porchhound

Thanks for the feedback. After running for awhile the white smoke disappeared and the heater worked fine, so it must have been condensation.