Survey complete...deal pending

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

With the combination of a great survey (5 1/2 hrs) and all the helpful feedback and info on here, I have a pretty accurate picture of the issues on this 1986 C34. P.O. (X2) did a great job keeping the boat up and documentation, not so much with this owner, which lead to a three year hiatus on basic maintenance. The coolant had something black growing in it and the overflow was empty, yet the motor ran at about 165 (180 indicated in cockpit). House bank batteries had zero water, which may have affected the diesel heater continuing to shut down after start up. Manual Windlass is questionable due to not being able to switch lever to free fall, but that may be user ignorance at this point (owner had never used it). Bottom was in remarkable condition (smile had been repaired at some point in time). Deck had high moisture port side of hatch about 1'x3', but no indication it had compromised it structurally. Propane was inoperable due to a bad connection but was scheduled to be repaired with documentation of pressure testing. Anyway, we're moving forward. Owner will be replacing batteries, fixing propane and diesel issues for future testing. Transmission fluid looked good, no tankage leaking but there was a port light leak showing up after pressure washing, and a leak under the sink somewhere. Overall a good survey, and we're looking forward to officially joining the C34 Good Old Boat gang on here.

Thanks X1,000 for all the assistance during this process. Prepare for more questions!
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Ron Hill

Porch : If your new C34 (new to you) doesn't have a Coolant Recovery system you can (like I did ) make one yourself.  Eliminates ever having to open the coolant reservoir cap.

Welcome Aboard!!   :clap

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

:clap :thumb: :appl :clap :thumb: :appl :clap :thumb: :appl :clap :thumb: :appl :clap :thumb: :appl :clap  :thumb: :appl :clap :thumb: :appl :clap :thumb: :appl :clap :thumb: :appl :clap :thumb: :appl :clap :thumb: :appl :clap :thumb: :appl :clap :thumb: :appl :clap :thumb: :appl
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Porchhound

Ron, thanks, I'm very interested in your coolant recovery system. Is it in tech notes?
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Ron Hill

Porch : Yes, it is in the early Mainsheet tech notes w/picture.
It is simply a Rubbermade 1 Qt. bottle with a clear hose attached.  Clear hose so you an see if there are any bubbles!!  I attached it to the port side wall of the engine compartment slightly lower than the reservoir cap. I used a wire tie (w/loop hole) and screwed it into the wooden wall.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

@porch

>>and the overflow was empty,<<

I took that to mean that she had an empty coolant recovery tank.  No?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain