What autohelm do C34 owners use

Previous topic - Next topic

John

I have a contract on an '89 C34 which does not have an autohelm and I am wondering what other C34 owners are using.

I am considering an ST-4000.

Thanks-

Mike Smith

John -

ST4000 is what I use.

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

sail4dale

The ST4000 works very well for me!

Stu Jackson

John

We use the Autohelm 3000.  It was a replacement unit for one that came with the boat (single PO).  I didn't want to mount new hardware and have to run new wires.  We just swapped out the old head and motor.

I am completely satisfied with it.  I like the fact that it has its own built in fluxgate compass, too.  With your traditional binnacle, it should be an easy install.

Others love their 4000.  Before you install one, if that's what you end up getting, please read "Wacky Autohelms" in the FAQ section of the main website.  You might want to read that even before you make up your mind.

Good luck,

Stu

PS  We have no need, desire or enthusiasm for connecting all our electronics.  I use a handheld GPS that's battery powered, still rely on paper charts, and sometimes still steer by hand!!!  The 3000 doesn't let you interface.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tweetybd

Hi, John

I know numerous other C34 owners who have an Autohelm ST-4000 (we're considering one for Tweety Bird).  It costs about $750-800, plus about $100 for a remote.  If you want to mount it at the helm and need a new instument pod, add another $200.  Sometimes, you can get a reconditioned unit for $500 or so, and I believe that it comes with a full warrantee.

The most popular alternatives are the Simrad wheelpilot, which costs about $650 (plus pod or other mounting -- but it doesn't "talk" to other Raymarine instruments), or the Autohelm ST5000, which is a belowdeck unit that costs about $2200, plus remote and instrument pod.  In many cases, it might be overkill.

Of course, labor is extra in all cases.

The ST4000 will handle a boat to 18,500 pounds, so it should be fine for mild-to-moderate conditions.

regards,
Jon Arck

Jim Price

I have the 4000.  Works just fine for me.  Not interfaced with GPS or other instruments; just point and go (and tack).
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

rirvine

I have had good success with an ST-4000 unit that is interfaced to my instrument system via SeaTalk for wind direction and boat speed and NEMA for GPS and waypoint data. I installed the ST-4000 after my Autohelm drive stopped working.  The installation was a little difficult because the ST-4000 drive unit is not mechanical "plug" compatible with the older Autohelm unit.  Finally I needed help from Raymarine (they were very responsive) in setting the various parameters to make the directional control stable..

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Might consider a Simrad WP-30--completely self-contained at the wheel, including a built in control pad.  Can be equipped with a remote and has a NMEA interface for wind/GPS input.  Like all above deck units, designed for light use knocking around the bay (although I'm sure they've crossed an ocean or two).  Very straight forward, do-it-yourself installation.  Most difficult part is running new wiring and this can be run directly through the binnacle or the stainless grab rail at the wheel.  

Note that Simrad also makes a smaller unit, but recommend that you always "over-size" your autopilot.  

If you do any heavy-duty cruising, a below deck unit is desirable, but installation and calibration are pretty involved (read expensive if you're having installed rather than doing it yourself).

bjmansfield

Agree with Mike.  I have been using the Simrad WP-30CX interfaced to a Garmin GPS-48 for 5 years.  It is a snap to install and interface as it is fully self-contained.  No separate fluxgate compass and it's attendant wiring to mess with.  During spring break a couple of years ago we sailed from Port Aransas,TX to South Padre Island (150+miles).  Entered the coordinates of the #1 red buoy into the GPS and did a GOTO, engaged the autopilot in NAV mode and essentially didn't touch the wheel again til we saw the South Padre jetties 24+ hours later. During the night the wind built to 25+ with 6-7 ft.STEEP waves. We (wife and self) just tucked up under the dodger and didn't touch the wheel even when tacking, just let the autopilot do all the steering.  This trip without the autopilot would have been absolutely exhausting and no fun at all.
I highly recommend the Simrad.

regards,
Jack Mansfield