M25 HX flip for zinc access

Previous topic - Next topic

sailingdolphin

I haven't looked at it closely to know if it can be done but, has anyone ever flipped their HX so the zinc is on the starboard side instead of port. The purpose being is so you could put one of those cool access doors in. I know someone did that on a later model.  It sure would be nice to not have to rip up the bed everytime and get in those yoga positions.

I believe the later models already has the zinc on the starboard side.
Doug and Donna #171

sailingdolphin

Laughing:-) ok if I had only scrolled down I see Canuck did the access door.  I also wonder if by going to the 3" HX is the zinc already on starboard?
Doug and Donna #171

Stu Jackson

Our M25's old 2 inch HX zinc and the newer 3 incher have the zinc on the port side.  We have not had any difficulty reaching over the engine and HX to access the zinc with a 11/16" box wrench.  It only takes a few minutes and we do not use the aft cabin at all.  If I had found it too difficult, I would consider installing a simpl Beckson 4 inch deck plate or something similar in the aft cabin wall for access.  It's been ten years now.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailingdolphin

That sounds good.  I have been having a mechanic doing some of this work. I never saw him do it and I did it twice through the aft cabin.  I like your idea it will save me time and money.  I have other more pressing projects.

I am going to pull the HX and I am trying to decide if I should put in the 3" or just have the 2" serviced.  I do also have that 11 gal hot water heater and an external coolant tank that helps.  The only time I have heating issues is when I am pulling the Avon.
Doug and Donna #171

sailingdolphin

I called a local universal distributor and he can service the HX but said don't waste your money a HX that old will not last the acid service.  So I guess I will bite the bullet and put in a new 3".
Doug and Donna #171

Ron Hill

Doug : You don't have to use the harsh acid treatment.  I've used Lime-A-Way for only 20 years. 
If the Zn has been doing it's job your HX should last for many more years.  A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

sailingdolphin

Ron, How do I service it with lime away. Thanks
Doug and Donna #171

sailingdolphin

By the way the reason my HX was so difficult to change the zincs is because the zinc hex was on the bottom.  What a pain.  Definitely going to reinstall it with the zinc on top
Doug and Donna #171

Stu Jackson

1.  Our zinc cap is on the bottom.  All of them are because that's the way they make the HXs.  So, you simply reach over it.  It is NOT that hard to do.  Once the loosening has started the top can be turned by hand.  Reinsertion starts by hand with a final tightening with the wrench.  Once every quarter or six months, depending on your experiences with the condition of the zincs in your "neighborhood."

2.  Ron's written about his method many times.  Look in the Knowledgebase or do a search on Lime Away written by Ron Hill - I'm sure you'll find it.  (PS - the "sticky" topic at the top of the MB should be a giveaway... :D)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."