Electrical system upgrade advice wanted

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Hi Jeff -

(I tried to e-mail you using the address listed in the C34 database, but it was returned as undeliverable so I am posting this on the C34 discussion board.)

I'm planning to rewire Breezer's DC power circuit and I'm taking your advice from the C34 discussion board about an alternative to the West Marine/BoatUS cost of marine battery cable.  I contacted ElectroFast this morning and the price differential they quoted for UL,USCG,ABYC,NMEA approved marine tinned battery cable was amazing.  I am going with 2/0 SAE cable from them vice 1/0 AWG from a marine supplier.  Do you still recommend this increase in cable size?

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Jeff

I have a Balmar 75A alternator and 200 A-H battery bank (2 each 6V golf car batteries in series) and the SAE 1/0 size was OK for this application.

Jeff

rwilkinsii

I would like to know why there are alot of people going to the golf cart batteries as oppose to the group 27 or 31 series. I just put 4 group 27 in my boat and they are dual purpose. It was recomended to me by the survey guy. Was this a bad suggestion??

Thanks    :confused:

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

Jeff

Advantage of golf cars are higher Amp-Hour capacity and more discharge/recharge cycles in battery life. They can also provide sufficient cranking amps to start engine. Lastly, they are relatively cheap.

Jeff

Stu Jackson

GOLF CART BATTERIES

Rich

I suggest you start a new post about golf cart batteries.

The basic answers are:

1.  The choice is 12 volt deep cycle for house banks

OR

2.  6v in series/parallel for house bank  (of course, you could just go series for a single bank of 220 ah instead of 2 in seriers then parallel for a 440 ah bank).

I'm not too sure about your reference to dual purpose batteries.

Why not start another post and let's go from there.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tassber #1321

I would strongly recommend a Link 10 or something similar to keep track of amp hours,  etc. when installing your electrical system.  You will have to cut into your ground cable if you choose to install an amp hour meter, so you may as well do it at the same time you are making all your other cables.  I find my Link 10 is vital to knowing what is going on with my 4  golf cart house bank.

Stu Jackson

AMP HOUR METERS

Hi: 1321

Sometimes it's not too hard:

Doing an energy budget gets you an understanding of how much draw you have for each system component.

The major "culprit" on most boats is the fridge:  anywhere from 30 to 60 amp hours a day.  We turn ours off at night.

So.....how hard is it to say: "How many days do I need to go without running the engine or charging the batteries before I use up my house bank?"

300 ah house bank, 150 useable, say 120 with inefficiences in recharging: 2 days.

An amp hour meter will tell you pretty much the same thing.

It sure is helpful to have a gauge, but sometimes it's easier to just:

Do the math.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tassber 1321

You're right.  I don't really get too hung up counting my amps but it is nice to know about where you are at.  The Link 10 also gives you a digital readout of your battery voltage,    charging voltage, charging amps going into your batteries from your alternator or battery charger, etc, etc.  Not a bad deal for the money