Water tank

Previous topic - Next topic

rwilkinsii

I have a 86 c34 and have a water tank in the v-berth. I've read several places that there is one in the aft section of the boat. I am wanting to know if I have a different set-up. Also I am wondering if I am the only one with water build up in the cockpit towards the front of the boat (near the companion way) It seems to collect there and not sure if i should offset the weight distribution by adding more weight in the lazaret (sp). :confused:

Thanks

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

Ted Pounds

Rich,

I don't get water puddling in the front of my cockpit.  Maybe because I have the aft water tank.  I believe some models were built with V-berth water tanks.  You might try just keeping the forward tank empty.  I kept my aft tank empty all this year (to save weight racing) which should be the same weight distribution as keeping your forward tank empty.  If that doesn't work you could try doing some projects (like a starter battery or A/C) towards the rear of the boat to change trim a bit.  Just a thought...

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

rwilkinsii

Thanks for the reply's

I have A/C ther enow and am thinking of putting a starter battery under the aft cabin and also moving an anchor takcle to the back. any more suggestions as to what i can do to weight the back down.. i do like having my water full/.

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

mvazmina

You are not the only one with standing water, I have it on the starboard side and depending on the rain a little on the port. Somewhere in  discussions a few years ago this was called the Catalina list. I have a water tank in the v berth and starboard side, but still get the standing water if the tank is empty. i just keep a sponge handy to wipe it out. Another interesting note is that in comparision to the starboard bench holding water the cockpit drains to the port drain.

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Rich,

My '86 (hull 233) has a midship water tank and an aft water tank (both stbd side), and has the A/C unit located in the V berth.  I haven't studied it that closely, but the aft water tank does appear to be a factory install...

Even though they are completely unrelated (?), I wonder if Catalina relocated the water tank (V berth to the stbd stern) when they changed to keel stepped masts???  My boat is keel stepped...

I do not have a problem with water collecting under the companion-way/forward end of cockpit, but do have water collecting on the forward end of the stbd cockpit seat.  I also have a refer unit mounted behind the aft water tank...I also keep very little water in the tanks due to racing, but do not remember a problem when completely topped off for cruising...

I also do not carry my spare CNG tank in the port cockpit locker; it stays off the boat...And I unloaded one of two anchors and 150' of chain from the fwd anchor locker...I now carry one anchor and 3 feet chain, and the rest of the rode is line...

My two house batteries are near centerline, just forward of the galley, and my starting Battery is in the port cockpit locker...

I'd recommend shifting your gear around to try and get the stern lower so the water might drain better...Try moving your stuff before you go and unbolt, rewire batteries, ect...

Hope this helps,
Tom

rwilkinsii

Tom:
  My boat is a keel stepped mast also.and it apears that the water tank is factory instll as I have the fill location near the v-berth. I have 4 batteris and they are in the settee 2 are in the original place and 2 more across from it. I am thinking about putting a starting battery aft and maybe add 2 more batteries.. yes i have power issues.. I have a 8 year old that watches the tv/vcr combo and i have to have both my batteries on so that leaves me with 2 others.. I like to be safe and a little CYA goes a long way. I also have a refer unit under the cook top. I will move my spare anchor to the lazertte and see if that helps any but i way 250 and it doesn't seem to help a whole lot.. I also have the major puddling where you are talking about on the stbd cockpit seat.

I called catalina to find out the build process of my boat as to the location of things and why there are many different variations.

Thanks for all the help

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

Stu Jackson

1.  The keel vs deck stepped mast was an OPTION by Catalina.  We researched this last year and also I just recently posted a reference to it on this board.

2.  The earlier 86s had forward and starboard water tanks.  I know for sure #55 did.  Our #224 has the starboard and aft water tanks.  The switch occurred, therefore, between #55 and #224, since Tom on #233 has an aft tank also.

3.  The starboard seat water collection has been an issue since the boats were originally built.  While we agree that this website is really big, I remember reading about this on the 'site even before I bought my boat, so please do some reading, even though it appears to be a daunting task - like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.  The answers you are coming up with are the same ones that were discovered in 1987.  If not on the website, they are sure to be in the Tech Notes.

4.  Rich, if you have power issues, we've discussed these a lot in the last week, and I continue to suggest you get Calder's book.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rwilkinsii

Stu:

Thanks for the reply I just got off the phone with Kent at Catalina and he is stumped. He is going to try and get me the original po for my boat.

As for the powerr issues I just like having more electricity then i really need. the book is one of the many things on my shopping list.

off the subbject for  a minute. hwat is a PO. In the context that i used it is for Purchase order what other's are there?

Thanks Rich

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Rich,

In most cases on this board, PO = Previous Owner...

Tom

rwilkinsii

Gotcha...

Thanks  :D

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!