Repair foam air filter attachment

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

Is it possible to reglue the ends or repair the foam pre filter?  They cost $28 for nothing.  Hoping this can simply be glued back together Gorilla glue...
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

mdidomenico

maybe some spray adhesive from 3m, like the kind you can get at home depot/lowes?  or contact cement.  just guessing...
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

KWKloeber

Take it or the coffee can to NAPA.

NAPA SME 702278 Pre-filter, replaces B&S 270782, 271794 (pre-filter for 7-02210)

< $4.   Also < a can of glue.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

pby : I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article on your problem.  BTW  that foam is a "Noise Suppressor" !!

If you go to a sewing/fabric store to can buy a lifetime supply of that foam for a dollar.  Cut it to size and sew the ends together.  You can try contact cement, but it might melt the foam - that's why I sewed it instead!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Is this the article?  https://c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/Aug_2008.pdf

I went through it and I saw the section on replacing the intake in general with something that was better but nothing about just the foam...?

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 09, 2021, 02:15:46 PM
pby : I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article on your problem.  BTW  that foam is a "Noise Suppressor" !!

If you go to a sewing/fabric store to can buy a lifetime supply of that foam for a dollar.  Cut it to size and sew the ends together.  You can try contact cement, but it might melt the foam - that's why I sewed it instead!

A thought
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Stu Jackson

Quote from: pbyrne on May 09, 2021, 07:57:57 PM
Is this the article?  https://c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/Aug_2008.pdf

I went through it and I saw the section on replacing the intake in general with something that was better but nothing about just the foam...?

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 09, 2021, 02:15:46 PM

A thought

pb,

That's an article about the "new style" filter with the foam added around it either later or comes with it.  I bought one in 1998. You're right, no mention of the foam in the tech note.  I think Ron's talking about a later note he wrote, the contents of which he just essentially represented pretty completely.

I've left a 101 about the foam and its possible sources:

Engine Air Filter Replacement Sponge  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7370.msg50214.html#msg50214

IIRC, I've since found a better replacement.  My inventory says:

Engine: Air  Filter   21-Apr-18   Marine Parts Supply      $20.72    W301049

You'd have to go to their website and use the part number.

Interestingly enough, that same 2008 (!!!) issue has a photo of the air breather hose to the intake, which is also included in the 101 topics by two other skippers, and many others of us.  Worth doing.  Simple, too.  :D

PS - Kloeber added another of his contributions on how to attach the hose to the intake which was the subject of this tech note.  I've added it to the 101 Topics on this matter, too.

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8136.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Sorry About That!!  I could have written about the fabric store foam replacement in one of my "Tips" columns? 

Anyway I remember saying that for .50 cents you could buy a lifetime .....  Anyway I increased that now to a Dollar (for inflation)!!

My homemade foam replacements will last longer as I've cleaned mine several times with soap and let them dry for future use!!

A thought   :D 
Ron, Apache #788

Robert Mann

Pbyrne, I threw mine away after the foam disintegrated, as I was concerned that the cheap mesh would end up in the engine.  Everyone believes marine engine compartments are clean, but with belt dust and other odd bits of detritus that seems to find it's way out of the bilge etc  they aren't so clean.  I fitted the KN filter RU-2450.  This one fits the intake horn on the M35-B, and tidies things up.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

Ron Hill

Robert : As I mentioned above Universal and Westerbeke call that foam a "Noise Suppressor"!?!

How much noise that foam suppresses, in my opinion is questionable!! 

Although I do clean that foam (my homemade ones) every year or so.  It does filter the air and definitely needs cleaning.  I do have my oil pan breather venter into the side of the air filter intake!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788