Sheet Bags and Halyards

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy Gold

I am thinking about installing sheet bags on my C34. I don't like the idea of installing them directly onto the bulkhead. I thought mounting a strip of wood to the bulkhead and then the bags to the wood is a better way to go. Any thought or suggestions?

On my Port side i have a Spinnaker, Genoa 1 and Genoa 2 line. Why so many, is one an emergency spare?
1992 Cal 34 MK 1.5.   #1202
Universal 35 BC

waughoo

Quote from: Buddy Gold on December 22, 2020, 06:48:50 PM
On my Port side i have a Spinnaker, Genoa 1 and Genoa 2 line. Why so many, is one an emergency spare?

Yes on the spare.  If you're making a long passage and lose your halyard to failure, chafe or anything else, it is quite nice to avoid going aloft to resolve it when you could otherwise use a spare and go aloft at one's next stop.

The halyard bags ive seen usually have some kjnd of fastener on the fiberglass allowing for removal rather than fixing them directly.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

My sheet bags are Sunbella and lap over onto the coachroof and fasten with snaps on coachroof.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Buddy

Quick sail changes.  I don't know how your head stay sitar is set up but on my 30 I have a dual track head stay.

With three halyards one can be dropping, say, a #3 while hoisting #1 - or the foredeck crew can at least have the "new" sail ready to quickly hoist if the head stay is a wire instead of a track.

Or to drop a headsail while hoisting a spinnaker.

Are you asking about sheet bags or halyard bags?  And for use while sailing or for storage?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI am thinking about installing sheet bags on my C34. I don't like the idea of installing them directly onto the bulkhead. I thought mounting a strip of wood to the bulkhead and then the bags to the wood is a better way to go. Any thought or suggestions?

Buddy,
Shamrock  has mesh bags, 2 bags both with double pockets, installed with twist canvas fasteners.  May be OEM.  Think I've seen them at Catalina Direct.  Store the tails of all the cabin top lines there.  A lot of lines, 9 I believe.  To help the tangle I leave about 5 feet for adjustment and gasket coil the lines that need minimal adjustment, put them at the bottom of the bags.  The rest of the lines just are loose in the bags.  Works OK, but lumpy on backs when sitting that way, a cushion hung on the winch helps.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

Yes Ken. Sorry about semantics. Mine are halyard bags. But also use them for main sheet, traveler, and misc.  "stuff storage".
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

My experience:  from 2003

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,860.msg3934.html#msg3934

Another link that quotes my November 2003 Tech Note (for the photos, go to the 2003 Tech Note Online)

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9293.msg68564.html#msg68564
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

I have mesh sheet bags.  They are OEM, exactly like the link on Jim's post.  If I had my choice, and if I was starting from scratch, I would rather have the buttons that hold each line separately.  With the sheet bags, the lines get tangled easily.  There are many types of line organizers, but this Barton example looks pretty good.  I've always thought of switching to something like this.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2561692
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD