Froli sleep system

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

I'm looking into doing the Froli sleep system in the V berth.  The one question i have is how it works with the insert coushion which is completely encapsulated.  Has anyone installed the system including in the insert cousion?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

steveg

Alex, I put the Froli system in the V berth this year as you are looking to do. It was easy to install and works very nice. As for the center insert cushion, just cut a foam padding to match the pattern and height.

WBev

we put ours in this spring, but did not address the center insert at all.  It works for us.  We really like the Froli, using different adjustments for the Admiral's side v. my side.  It was a very good decision and improved our nights, as well as seeming to reduce moisture below the "mattresses" on our fall cruise. We also supported CD when purchasing it.
Perfectly Imperfect
2019 C-355 WK

waughoo

Thanks for the replies.  Is there anyone out there who did install it under the insert as well?  I saw someone that was selling a froli years ago on here who said they did unwrap the insert and install.  Im curious to know how challenging that is.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

Alex, while we haven't installed a Froli system on our boat....yet...we did recover all the interior cushions including that center cushion. After having been in there I can say that they aren't hard to disassemble, the top cover is simply wrapped around and stapled to the bottom piece of plywood and then a small piece of fabric is stapled over the bare plywood on the bottom.
The only issue I can think of with adding any thickness would be to wonder if there is enough fabric in the top cover to accommodate this thickness change. I don't know the thickness of the Froli system but if you're adamant about adding it under all three cushions, you can pull back that bottom cover and see what's under there, you just might get lucky!!!!
P.S. we used stainless steel Arrow 3/8" staples to refasten both the top cover and the bottom decorative piece, worked great.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

waughoo

Thanks Eric.  I appreciate the insight on how it is put together.  Ill take a closer look next time I'm at the boat and see what i can find out. My wife wanted to recover a complicated chair and i like tools... after watching her struggle with a hand staper and subsequently an electric one after that, I bought her a pnumatic upholstry stapler.  This made ALL the difference.  The staples now sink flat and tight at the touch of a finger.  Bonus, she lets me borrow it ;-)
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Lucas

Hi Alex,
We're big on making our sleeping super comfortable (not as worried about the guests.. :shock:).
We added the Froli system to our v-berth which was a big upgrade for both support, warmth/cooling and ventilation. We didn't bother with the center piece as we also added some good quality 4" foam to the entire bed with an extra piece that fits under the center board. The biggest challenge to this was getting a fitted sheet to cover the foam and existing cushions.
My co-captain took on the challenge and it works perfectly. I guess we give up a bit of head room but we both sleep better on board than we do at home!! It certainly makes the longer cruises so much more if were both super comfortable!

Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

waughoo

Jim... that sounds rather luxurious!! My wife has a commercial sewing machine at her disposal and thus we will likely end up with custom linnens for the boat... additionally, she is a clean freak and has indicated that she will have a separate cover for day sailing which will protect the coushions when being used for general storage :-) 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte