Deck/Hull joint torque

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Carter

I did try to search this.

Recently while rebedding my stanchions I noticed the nuts and bolts which hold the Deck and Hull together since I was using a 7/16 on the stanchions anyway I put my wrench on one and it wasn't very tight more than finger tight but not by a lot. So I emailed Catalina to see if there was a particular torque they should be at but I never heard back from them.  :cry4` does anyone know about these?

TIA

Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.
SV Ripple Catalina 34 #360

KWKloeber

Jim

Why not use the good old phone, call FL, ask for Warren and he'll get an answer if there is one.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

You really don't need anybody else to tell you anything.  Just tighten it up snug, short of the threshold of pain (for your joints!!!:D) and be done with it.  Really.  The ONLY torque I think is critical are the keel bolts.

Saves a long distance phone call.  Send Ken the $$ you woulda saved.   :D :thumb: :D

PS - added later  Jim, hope I didn't sound harsh.  You're right, I don't EVER recall hearing about this.  Fun to be first?!?  :shock: :clap 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

And since you now have that stanchion rebedding "thing" down how'bout swinging by San Diego and give mine a go, too. BTW-I also need backing plates added. 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Carter

you mean that thing in my pocket that I use to do Facebook? You can talk into that thing? Who'd a thunk. Good idea though really didn't think of it. DOH!

Quote from: KWKloeber on July 14, 2019, 03:58:00 PM
Jim

Why not use the good old phone, call FL, ask for Warren and he'll get an answer if there is one.

Jim Carter

Stu, not at all. I think I will call them though some things you can mess up by unequal tightening I'd hate to cause that seal to leak from not doing it right.

Quote from: Stu Jackson on July 14, 2019, 04:02:55 PM
You really don't need anybody else to tell you anything.  Just tighten it up snug, short of the threshold of pain (for your joints!!!:D) and be done with it.  Really.  The ONLY torque I think is critical are the keel bolts.

Saves a long distance phone call.  Send Ken the $$ you woulda saved.   :D :thumb: :D

PS - added later  Jim, hope I didn't sound harsh.  You're right, I don't EVER recall hearing about this.  Fun to be first?!?  :shock: :clap

Jim Carter

Yeah, no, but if you ever sail down to Ensenada I'm at Cruiseport I'll buy you a taco.   8)   

Quote from: Noah on July 14, 2019, 04:41:36 PM
And since you now have that stanchion rebedding "thing" down how'bout swinging by San Diego and give mine a go, too. BTW-I also need backing plates added. 8)

Jim Carter

So I talked to Warren at Catalina and he basically said what Stu said, get them tight like you'd tighten any other nut. Also he didn't really sound like it was an issue I should be too concerned with.

Ron Hill

Jim : Somewhere in the Mainsheet Tech Notes I published the factory spec.!! 
As I'm recalling (in this 86year old mind), it was something like 107 foot pounds??

Like Stu said "tighten till the pain starts"!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Carter

Jon W

Are the hull to deck joint screws you're talking about the ones that are less than 1/2" diameter? Maybe 5/16-7/16"?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Jim Carter

In the boat they are nuts on bolts.

Jon W

What size? Torque value depends on grade, fine or coarse thread, size, and whether plain or plated. Example torque for grade 5, 7/16", not plated, is 50-55 ft lbs. If plated it's 37-41 ft lbs. (coarse vs fine thread)
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

jmcdonald

I think the 107 foot pounds of torque is in reference to the keel bolts.