NavPod tool

Previous topic - Next topic

hwd

Can a Booth wrench with 5/32" security tip be used on NavPod security screws in lieu of the expensive NavPod tool?

Breakin Away

I can't answer your question, but I will tell you that I am in the process of replacing all my security screws with normal Phillips head. I'm sick of using that darned tool, and with 16 year old electronics, there's nothing in there that anyone would steal. I've had some issues recently for which I really like being able to use an electric screwdriver to get in there.

If you can borrow a tool to get in there once, I'd recommend swapping out your screws.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Breakin Away on May 27, 2018, 08:17:42 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
.....I am in the process of replacing all my security screws with normal Phillips head. I'm sick of using that darned tool, and with 16 year old electronics, there's nothing in there that anyone would steal. I've had some issues recently for which I really like being able to use an electric screwdriver to get in there.

If you can borrow a tool to get in there once, I'd recommend swapping out your screws.

Superb idea.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

I've always assumed that any "serious" thief targeting marine electronics (that were worth stealing) would carry his own $25 Navpod screwdriver.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

DaveBMusik

I believe mine was just a simple torx drive
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Noah

Not the same as Torx head.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

tgsail1

Security set from HFT has a bit that works fine. The set was $7 on sale. I totally agree about the uselessness of the security screws.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I'm assuming the tool you're talking about looks like an allen wrench with a hollow center. Does that sound right? When I bought my nav pod it came with the allen wrench type tool but I think it also came with a straight one that you could put in a drill chuck. I also was able to fine a tool in my box that worked with a screw driver type handle. It is a tool that I used when I worked for Bell Telephone and is made by Stanley and has a KS-19192 designation number on it which is a bell tell designation so I don't know if that will come up on the net or not. Hope that helps. You could try Harbor Freight of Sears.
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

hwd

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I've subsequently found that the Booth wrench with 5/32 inch security tip (5/32" allen wrench with hollow center) works perfectly on the NavPod screws.  I purchased my wrench from from Grainger Industrial Supply for $7 , which is 3x cheaper than the NavPod tool.

KWKloeber

Just an FYI for those who need one, Horror Fright has a 100-pc kit that contains the hollow hex bits
https://www.harborfreight.com/100-pc-security-bit-set-with-case-68457.html
8.99 w/ -20% coupon = 7.19,  or if you're lucky to get one -25% for 6.74.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain