Engine Starting

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Ed

I thought I said it very simply and straightforward. I don't know what kind of description you want that would be "confined or restricted as if within the borders of a parish :  limited in range or scope (as to a narrow area or region)" that pertains to " continuous duty."

But, I'll give it another go.   Continuous duty means that it can be placed into duty continuously, i.e., the solenoid coil can stay energized forever and ever and ever and will not burn up. "Intermittent duty" means that the  solenoid coil can be energized only occasionally and then has to be allowed to cool down. Typically for a solenoid that would be maybe 10 or 15 seconds of duty, and then cooled for 60 secs.  Obviously the amount of duty versus cooldown time would be specific to each manufacturers product.

As an example, the starter motor is rated for intermittent duty, you can't crank it continuously or you'll burn up the winding. You have to crank it for a few seconds and then allow to cool. 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 17, 2017, 02:55:05 PM

Stu : In Critical updates -That does NOT apply to any M25XP engines (mounted in Catalina 34s) as no XPs came with a glow plug solenoid!!  However, the M35, M25XPB and M35BC engines are the ones with the glow plug time limitation.

Ron:

Here is the entire quote from the Critical Upgrades link I provided.  It covers what you said.

In December 2011, Ray Irvine reported: "Also the solenoid that is used for the glow plugs is a low duty cycle version - the duty cycle is limited by the hold coil.  This means that if you hold the glow plugs on for too long - like get distracted with conversation etc - you can burn out the hold coil.   I am about to replace mine with a continuous duty cycle solenoid - for $10.00 more dollars."  This is for an M35 in a Mark II, and for those who have built-in OEM solenoids on their engines.  Many of us have added solenoids on our older M25 series engines.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Ed

Maybe the problem is that you're thinking "use"rather than "rating" 
Continuous duty or intermittent duty is the RATING of the equipment, not (necessarily) how it used.

Equipment that is manufactured to a standard that it can be ON with no OFF time necessary, is rated as CD. CD equipment has a 100% duty cycle.

Equipment that is manufactured so that it needs to rest between short periods of use is rated ID  (typically rated as a duty cycle of ON-OFF   (such as 30 sec on - 120 sec off or a 20% duty cycle.)

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ed Shankle

Ken - perfect. Your 2 posts clearly answer my question.
Ron - read Ken's post and maybe you'll understand what I wasn't getting.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

KWKloeber

Ed it finally finally me what you were thinking.

A forest/trees thing on my end.

Ron Hill

Stu : In Critical Update Reply #30 there is a red Crawler that moves across the screen that says:
"This also applies to some later N25XP and XPB engines"   :cry:

The post is about fuel bleeding of an M35 engine which ONLY also applies to the M25XPB engines and not the M25XPs.  The reader can get the wrong idea as there are many more XPs in C34s than the XPB

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Guys, maybe I can clarify.

The preheat solenoid was added on the "A" engine wiring schematic. For example  M-25XPA, M-25XPA(C).  And of course the "B" series. 

K

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 18, 2017, 01:08:00 PM
Stu : In Critical Update Reply #30 there is a red Crawler that moves across the screen that says:
"This also applies to some later N25XP and XPB engines"   :cry:

The post is about fuel bleeding of an M35 engine which ONLY also applies to the M25XPB engines and not the M25XPs.  The reader can get the wrong idea as there are many more XPs in C34s than the XPB

You're right, of course.  The "This also applies to some later M25XP and XPB engines" applies to the bleeding issue.  What part of "...some later M25XP..." is incorrect?

And sure, there were very few XPBs put into C34s.

Just so happens I have a good friend with one, and no end of trouble with it.  :cry4` Eventually, she cured it.  :clap  Ir's on a hull earlier than mine, don't know if it was a repower, could well be.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stu : TheM25 XP "B" engines are all repowers (in C34s).  The engine was developed by Westerbeke after they bought out Oshkosh.

Don't know about your friends "troubles" were, as mine was and still is running great!!
Westerbeke had the smarts to finally put the oil pan drain in the rear of a tilted (installed) engine.  Could have made a number of more changes/improvements, but they didn't ask me! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788