air conditioning suggestions

Previous topic - Next topic

anon

I am currently living in an extremely warm apartment with no A/C.
I hope to be living on my boat in a year or so.
Because I do not want to buy anything that will not be for my future life aboard, I wondered if anybody had a suggestion for a small portable 110V A/C unit that will work for me now and also aboard my boat?
"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

sailaway

Sophie there is an ac unit that has a hot air discharge threw a tube.  I have seen a lot of them in Canada they are becoming popular in the US also. You can direct the hot air out an window in your place now an later out a portlit in the boat . Charlie

anon

"ALBION"
HULL #369
M25XP

Craig Illman

My partner bought one of those for her house a couple summers ago. Just an FYI, it's not small, it's not lightweight and not that many BTU's.

Ken Juul

lots of folks use window units either in the companionway or on the cabin roof ducted to the salon hatch.  Only good in port, but could be portable between apartment and the boat.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Sophie on May 18, 2017, 12:24:47 PM
I am currently living in an extremely warm apartment with no A/C.
I hope to be living on my boat in a year or so.
Because I do not want to buy anything that will not be for my future life aboard, I wondered if anybody had a suggestion for a small portable 110V A/C unit that will work for me now and also aboard my boat?

Really?  Really?? 
With 5000 btu throwaway window air conditioners being about 100 bucks these days on a good sale, and could resell for $25-40, is that a good idea to ghetto up your Catalina with a home a/c stuck in a companionway or sail locker?  C'mon.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain