Vertical or Horizontal Windlass

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

Looking for opinions / experience with electric windlass. I will be installing an electric windlass on my MK1. I'm looking at Maxwells rc8-8 vertical or HRC ff-8 horizontal.

Defender has great prices until tomorrow. What are your thoughts on horizontal vs vertical electric windlass? Thanks for the help.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Wouldn't it be somewhat dependant on your anchor locker configuration? Not sure how the earlier MK1 two-door anchor wells are laid out. Maybe it doesn't matter. Mine: C34 factory option; is horizontal. VC500
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

The anchor locker is definitely a factor, but it can be made to work as Ron, Mike, and a couple others have shown. I keep flipping back and forth between the two types. Don't know if one is more problematic, or chain jams/jumps more than the other so thought I'd ask this esteemed group for their opinions.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

mark_53

Quote from: Jon W on April 01, 2017, 01:39:51 PM
The anchor locker is definitely a factor, but it can be made to work as Ron, Mike, and a couple others have shown. I keep flipping back and forth between the two types. Don't know if one is more problematic, or chain jams/jumps more than the other so thought I'd ask this esteemed group for their opinions.

I would lean towards horizontal installation because theoretically, you can use your windlass to haul you up the mast or use the main halyard as a crane.

Also, a horizontal installation can be done completely in the anchor locker.  Eliminates a hazard.

Noah

Not sure of the physics but, what would be the difference between a horizontal or vertical windlass when it comes to hauling someone up the mast? Possibably an ancillary use, but NOT a criteria that I would weight heavily to pick an anchor windlass.
Standard Rig

Jon W

Maxwell technical documentation says do not use the windlass to haul someone up the mast.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

In previous post, I left out the important word, "Not"! "Possibly an ancillary use, but NOT a criteria that I would weigh heavily to pick an anchor windlass."
Standard Rig

mark_53

Quote from: Noah on April 01, 2017, 06:54:03 PM
Not sure of the physics but, what would be the diference between a horizontal or vertical windlass when it comes to hauling someone up the mast? Possibably an ancillary use, but a criteria that I would weight heavily to pick an anchor windlass.

Halyard would wrap around the drum without any turns to the mast head sheeves.
Not a primary consideration for and anchor windlass but a consideration. 

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI would lean towards horizontal installation because theoretically, you can use your windlass to haul you up the mast or use the main halyard as a crane
Shamrock is a MKll with a vertical chain gypsy / drum combo. I find that very useful for two non anchor uses.  One is going up the mast.  I use a couple of blocks to route the halyard to fair lead to the drum.  Then it's just a mater of having someone to properly hand over hand tail the winch.  For the second use.  To lift my boat with our clubs boat lift the fore stay needs to be removed at the base.   I loosen the backstay, tie a couple of midshipmen hitches (rolling hitch) in a 6 foot length of line to the furler through a snach block to the windless.  Then tension till I can remove the forestay pin.  I find this a lot easier than just pulling on the forestay.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Jon : The first thing that you have to decide is where you want the windless to be mounted??? 

Inside the anchor well or protruding outside the anchor well??  Then pick the vertical or horizontal to match the installation.

There are a number of Mainsheet tech note articles on different installations.  Also look in WiKi

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788