Aqua muffler input hose

Previous topic - Next topic

kable

The hose going into my aqua muffler is pretty bad and leaking rust water (probably from internal structure wire or bad clamps).

Is this a special hose?
Is this difficult to install, does the exhaust thing on top have a bit of a flex to get this hose on?

Attached is someone else's pic that I circled just to be clear on what hose I need to replace.

Thanks,
kable
1988 C34 #785 SR/WK Universal M25XP - "As We Wish" Bellingham, WA - San Juan Islands

britinusa

When I repared my muffler, I used a hump hose on the input side.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

MarcZ

Hose in the pic is not a recommended - Hump Hose (you can find one on Catalina direct)
I would not conciser replacing it a very difficult job but you will be working in very limited space.

You might want to inspect your exhaust riser while you are on the topic.
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on March 24, 2017, 12:50:21 AM
When I repared my muffler, I used a hump hose on the input side.

Paul

Paul

What length hose did you end up needing?  4"  6"  8"

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

I purchased the 8" Hump hose. My thought was that if I needed to cut it down I could, but extending it was a no no.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Good plan :-).  And you needed all the length?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

britinusa

Nope, I cut it down from both ends.

Could have left it a little longer, maybe 1/2" or so, but was unsure if I would be able to get it in place.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ron Hill

kable : When you install your new HUMP hose also check the hose from the exhaust anti-syphon to the nipple on the stainless exhaust riser.  Make sure that hose is nylon reinforced and NOT wire reinforced.

The stiff wire reinforced hose (5/8") transmits all of the vibrations from the engine to that nipple weld causing it to eventually crack!!!    :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Ok, what I am attempting to get at here is... Would a 6 inch pump hose work?

Quote from: britinusa on March 24, 2017, 01:17:02 PM
Nope, I cut it down from both ends.

Could have left it a little longer, maybe 1/2" or so, but was unsure if I would be able to get it in place.

Paul

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 24, 2017, 01:28:19 PM
Ok, what I am attempting to get at here is... Would a 6 inch pump hose work?

It all depends on the way the exhaust riser is "set."  While the risers are pretty much identical (on all Mark I to 1.5s) the angle at which they leave the engine could be different.  That's because the risers screw into the flange.  The length of the risers from the engine to underneath the head sink is a few feet.  Just a few degrees different at the flange makes a large difference at the muffler end.

One time many years I cut a lot of hump hose off when I put a new riser in.  Last time, when I replaced my muffler and the riser last year, I ended up using all of the eight inch HH.

Buy 8", cut off what you don't need.

This is not a "What minimum length HH should I buy?" question.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

What is very strange is Catalina Direct (on their website) sells the 8 in. Hump hose for a few dollars LESS  than the 6 in. one???  6in. is $47.41 and the 8in. Is $44.11.??? May both be over priced, but small change I would think for convenience. I got the 8in. From them a couple of years back and had to cut a it bit but can't remember how much.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Stu

Thanks. Makes sense. 
The question wasn't in an attempt to minimize, but rather frugality for members.
I can get 6" HH better priced than CD but, unfortunately, 8" HH isn't on the menu.

kk

Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

britinusa

Another reason for the uncertainty, as to which hump hose to get, was that I had to relocate the muffler as I purchased the off the shelf riser which is about 1" longer (on the athwartships tube) than the original on the boat.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water