Cockpit scupper hoses

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailing48N

I finally pinned down the source of fresh water in my bilge and it's time to replace the cockpit scupper hoses. Simple enough do to... Here's my question.

I have about 10 feet of 1 1/2 inch sanitation hose left over from a previous project (Trident wire reinforced hose - series 101). Would that be ok to use to replace the scupper hoses?

I'll be replacing the exhaust hose at the same time but will of course use marine exhaust hose designed for that application. (~$10 / foot = ouch)
Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

KWKloeber

Russ

On my C30 the scuppers take the same as the exh hose (20' length does the exh run + 2 scuppers.)  dunno about yours? 
What length(s) exh hose do you need for the C34?  Which hose are you using, 116-250-1560 ?
Some owners have used softer non-wire hose for the scuppers -- it's a bear getting the wire wound hose into the short space between the (C30) fittings.  Again dunno about yours.
k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

You're lucky you caught it, and others should check theirs!! 
On my 30, one of the two deteriorated and the short story is that due to the leak, I ended up with a $300 diesel mechanic's bill and more. 

The long story is "a little" more involved.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Craig Illman

One caveat when I replaced my scupper hoses on my C30, they were subtly different lengths, by about an inch. Measure each. Yes, a PIA to replace. I used the ribbed wire-reinforced exhaust hose, it was slightly easier to bend. Piece of mind, should last the 25 years the original hose did.

Ron Hill

Russel : To answer your question - If you can make and any turns and not reduce the diameter the answer is YES use the extra sanitary hose.

The only reason for wire reinforced hose is it will maintain the same diameter in an acute bend!!
I found the white sanitary hose easy to work with - just put the end in hot water to get it on to a thru hull fitting.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Ekutney

I replaced the scupper hoses with trident wire reinforced hose, pretty simple job.

I also replaced the 17 ft exhaust hose, pricey as you stated.  A local marine store gave me the same price as Defender.  I found feeding it in both directions from the port cockpit locker worked for me.  Rubber coated gloves made twisting the hose easier but getting inside the port locker was not easy for a 60 yr old 5'11" 225 lb guy.  Once inside there is ample room but getting back out of the locker was NO FUN.  Tying a line to the binnacle made it easier but coming out feet first on my back made me wish I did it 20 yrs ago.

I fed the hose into the area under the sink in the head & had the wife assist with a broom stick while I fed the hose, minimal effort but it was slow & tedious.  Turning the hose gave me more control to feed it in the route I needed.  Getting it aft into the lazerette was a cut easier but I strongly suggest it is a two person job.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Sailing48N

I made a trip up to Seattle today to visit Fisheries Supply (about an hour drive). They only had 12 feet of continuous length hose that I had wanted (Trident Series 250 Exhaust hose at $11.20/ft) even though their system was showing more in stock. Ugh!!! However, they had the next grade higher in stock (Series 252 at 16.52/ft) and sold that to me at the same price as the one I wanted. Talk about great service! I thought for sure I'd have to order online or come back and make another drive up there next week.

My list of projects is growing at an alarming rate!!! lol
It'll keep me very busy if I'm going to get the everything done before spring arrives.

Oh, and I'm going to use the sanitation hose I already have for the scupper drains. It's the heavy duty wire reinforced stuff anyway so I'm sure it will be more than adequate.

Thanks again for all of your help everyone. You guys are awesome!!!
Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

KWKloeber

Russ have you verified that the scupper takes the 1-1/2 (sanitation) hose? 
As I said the C30 fittings take 1-5/8", like the exh hose.

ken

Noah

Best bet is to pull off current hoses and measure. Stick some wood bungs in the dains/through-hulls too, if it takes you a couple/few days to sort it out--in case it rains or,  you need to move the boat.  Motoring, burying the stern, especially in reverse, will flood.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig