Propeller cleaning & treatment

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekutney

When I hauled the boat I cleaned the propeller using a wire brush with a cordless drill then painted it with 3 coats of PETTIT
Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier.  I followed the instructions exactly, sprayed very light coats one after the other.  The paint dried very fast so by the time I put one coat (each side of the prop) I went right back and applied the second then third coats.  The pictures of before and after are attached.

When I had the bottom cleaned about two months ago the diver told me it looked really good with minimal growth, sorry no underwater pictures of exactly what he saw.

Does anyone else here have any comments or experience along these lines?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Sue Clancy

Up here in CT we have also used the Pettit prop paint for the last 2 years and have had good luck with it.  Few to no barnacles attached although the paint does not look great (uneven) when the boat is hauled at the end of the season.  Just use a Scotchbright pad and reapply in the spring.
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

Breakin Away

I bought my boat mid-June and had to have the yard do the paint before launch. They used Barnacle Guard. When I hauled end of October (4 mos in the brackish water in Rock Hall) there were about six barnacles on the prop and a dozen on the shaft. Not totally pleased. I will try it again this spring, unless anyone has a better idea. I'm in a DIY yard now so I'll have a chance to do it my way - I just need suggestions, since this is my first time in something other than fresh water.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Ekutney

Breakin,

I'm local at Magothy Marina just across the bay.  I see you are from PA, I grew up near Wilkes-Barre.  Spent some time at Lake Wallenpaupake and learned to scuba dive at Harvey's Lake.  You mentioned a local DIY yard, where abouts?

I was also advised during very warm weather to start the engine & put it in gear at the dock to spin the prop.  I was told this helps by not allowing those nasty things to collect on the prop & shaft.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

KWKloeber

Ed,

I regularly cleaned and V-17'd the prop -- and it was always relatively clean (some slime) upon pulling (freshwater Great Lake -- no zebra muscles -- and inland lake.)

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI regularly cleaned and V-17'd the prop

Ken,
My max-i-prop gets a rather heavy build up that I polish off before spring launch.  Think it started a year the boat was in the water but not used.  I've not seen props painted with VC-17.  At the boat show did see some vendors selling paint/coating for props that interested me.  But, VC-17 works very well around here.  If it didn't work it would come off with just an acetone wash. 
How well did the VC-17 hold up on the prop?  I do use Shamrock a bit in our 6 months season.  Over 1,000 miles and about 50 hours motoring is a normal year.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Jim

At some point (during the season) it had worn mostly off, but not sure how long it lasted -- just that I was "clean" when hauled.  Maybe just lucky waters??

-kk

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on November 29, 2016, 04:36:10 AM
QuoteI regularly cleaned and V-17'd the prop

Ken,
My max-i-prop gets a rather heavy build up that I polish off before spring launch.  Think it started a year the boat was in the water but not used.  I've not seen props painted with VC-17.  At the boat show did see some vendors selling paint/coating for props that interested me.  But, VC-17 works very well around here.  If it didn't work it would come off with just an acetone wash. 
How well did the VC-17 hold up on the prop?  I do use Shamrock a bit in our 6 months season.  Over 1,000 miles and about 50 hours motoring is a normal year.
Thanks,
Jim
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ed Shankle

Just to expand on Sue's technique, I use a scotchbright wheel that is fitted for a drill. Does a nice polishing job.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ken Juul

using the boat seems to be the key.  I have had no luck in salty brackish water with the pettit spray.  We did not use ours this season in the lower Chesapeake much.  Scraped the prop 4 times...everyone said it was a bad year.  I've got a system, many people swear by, haven't tried it yet.  If I can find it in the files i'll post tomorrow.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Juul

step 1 clean prop/shaft to bright metal.
Step 2 wash prop/shaft with denatured alcohol
step 3 apply a thin coat of Pettit metal primer 6455 (2 part) allow to dry per can instructions
step 4 apply 3 coats of Interlux 2000 per instructions
step 5 apply 3 coats of Pettit hard bottom paint, color your choice.

Do steps 2 and 3 within 4 hours of sanding prop.

Annually scuff and apply one coat of the Pettit hard bottom paint.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA