Hair line cracks on deck

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

We have hairline cracks near the joints on deck (between cabin and side decks etc.)

Despite trying the hairline crack majic compound, I'm not impressed as much as when I see boats that have done the deck paint.

There's no sign of deck damage, looks more like 30 year old stress.

Has anyone got experience of and would it be effective to spray a gel coat in the area of the cracks to prevent water intrusion?

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Paul : I had a crack where I dropped a screwdriver when I was up the mast.  I found that Voodo Gray paint from a model shop matched the gray gelcoat. 
It will stay gloss for awhile, but will eventually dull.  It filled the crack and kept water out!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

We have spent the past couple of days cleaning the top deck (sails and sheets are off).

Now we are aware of where the hairline cracks are. Also the toe rail on each side forward of the cabin has surface erosion, we can see a darker substrate as though the gelcoat has been worn away by dock lines over the years.

Later today we'll be waxing the top, (cockpit, cabin, sidewalks, focsle, etc.) But I'm looking at maybe painting or something early next year. I'll check out Practical Sailor.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP