fuel treatment

Previous topic - Next topic

SPembleton

I am a day sailor that uses very little fuel over the course of a season.  Last season I used only 5 gal.  At the end of the season I treated the fuel for winter.  This year i have probably only used 1 or 2 gallons.  As i start thinking about winter, should i: 1. Just leave it alone - does the protection wear out after a year?, 2. Treat the fuel again as if it were all fresh fuel- can you overtreat the fuel? 3. Sail to the Caribbean for the winter? 4. Something else?
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Fred Koehlmann

I would like to opt for #3, but that may have to wait for now.

We sail on Georgian Bay and winter Dolphina in Midland. We typically try to keep the tank full over the winter. After a few week trip, i'll also fill it back up. For the winter i add the biocide before filling, and yes i do this every winter. So far no problem. We also regularly switch out the fuel filters. About every second year.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Ron Hill

Steve : I'd also opt for option #3.

Caution as you can overtreat fuel if you are using BioBore Jr. (sp?).  I'm told You can't overtreat if you are using Starbright enzyme additive. 

Why not call Westerbeke @ the numbers I've posted and ask Joe or Russ?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

SPembleton

Thank you both. I will call Westerbeke on Tuesday and post here what they say in case anyone else is interested.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Mick Laver

Practical Sailor did a fairly extensive writeup on diesel fuel additives in August 2013. Their conclusion was that Starbrite Startron enzyme treatment was hands-down the best product for corrosion protection (supposed to last up to 2 years, according to Starbrite's blurb) but Biobor JF was the best biocidal agent. Since they do different things PS actually suggests using both. To quote:

"Biobor JF is perhaps the most widely used biocide for diesel and jet fuel. It has proven very effective against biological contaminants, and rated highly in our biocide testing trials. Unfortunately, it apparently does nothing to combat water-induced corrosion. (snip)  Interestingly, the combined Star Tron/Biobor JF blend performed well against corrosion. Assuming this blend retains Biobor's bacteria-fighting ability, this would be a good concoction to use regularly.

Used without permission. I hope the PS lawyers don't come after me.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Ken Juul

IIRC BioborJr does not mix with the fuel.  It just sits in the bottom of the tank doing it's thing.  Unless you use more than 95% of the fuel in the tank, another dose is not needed with each fill up.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ed Shankle

If it sits on the bottom might it get get taken up in the fuel hose and consumed? It'll be interesting to hear what Westerbeke says.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Steve,
If you do opt for #3 I'm available as crew.    :D
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

I haven't used anything for the past 10 years.  I refill once every three months with 10 gallons, now I'm refilling every second day on our cruise up the coast from SF to Vancouver Island!   I think it's snake oil.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

It took a dockmate about a week of flushing and 6 or7 racors to get her tank clean.  I saw the original filter, black goey mess.  Remote location, polishing and other services not available.  Too far to tow.  Small price to pay to keep the slime out of the tank.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ken Juul on September 07, 2016, 06:12:41 AM....................Small price to pay to keep the slime out of the tank.

I hear ya, Ken.  But one anomaly, and perhaps even a gasp! dilemma, is that our boats come with pretty hefty fuel tanks.  I am very pleased we have the range we do for our current voyage, 'cuz one town didn't have any diesel fuel and we had no problems just pushing on.

The issue is for those who either use their boats so rarely or use their engines so rarely and then buy into the urban myth that they have to keep their fuel tanks full during the winter.

One simply can't have it both ways.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."